Tap on 4 and 8 - is it cool?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by ticolora, Dec 13, 2016.

1. ticolora

ticolora Member

I see people doing kick or tap on 4 and 8 (assuming breaks on 1 and 5).

I thought it looked cool, so I taught myself to do it.

My Salsa teacher told me that it is no longer cool to kick/tap like that.

What's the consensus there?

Let's skip "you do whatever you want" and "it depends on style" and "it varies from place to place". I just want to know 1) do *you* think it looks cool? 2) do *you* do it? And specify style of Salsa you dance (apparently there is more than one) and location.

I [used to] think it looks cool, so I used to do it, but stopped doing it since yesterday.

2. vit

vit Active Member

First you said you had a teacher and it didn't work. Then you said let's assume you can't afford a salsa teacher. Now you have a teacher again. So what it is ?

3. ticolora

ticolora Member

For the purposes of this discussion, I do have a teacher. People often tempted to answer the question they know the answer to, or reframe a question to give an answer they like, instead of answering the question I'm asking. So, it is easier for me to "simplify conditions" to avoid unnecessary distractions. If you know I have a teacher, then answer often will be "ask your teacher", which does me no good.

ajiboyet likes this.
  4. vit

vit Active Member

Don't worry about that. Many of us here have been learning from a number of different teachers and even different genres and we know that teachers usually have whether different opinions about same things, or similar opinions but are describing them different way ... And I think almost all people here have some teachers, so if the answer were always ask your teacher, there would be nothing to discuss about. Sure, a number of technical questions can't be satisfactory answered in a written form as many things should be demoed or danced with someone so one can get a clue about it ... but we can still exchange opinions / experiences etc ...

5. ticolora

ticolora Member

@vit. Good. So now that we have clarified my teacher-situation, and established that teach-situation is irrelevant. How about an answer to the original question about tap/kick on 4 and 8?

6. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Don't see in in salsa here... my observation is that most of the regular salsa dancers here pass the feet on 4/8, which precludes doing a tap.

ajiboyet likes this.
  7. vit

vit Active Member

In my venue, most cuban salsa dancers do tap on 4 and 8 as they were told to. I mostly do taps, but it depend on direction of movement - for instance, when I go forward (before 1st step of DQN), I omit the tap as it doesn't make much sense to me

On the other side, most linear salsa dancers don't do taps on 4 and 8. However, many of them actually replace break steps with taps like their teachers. Here, I do same taps, if I do stronger change if direction of my movement. And if I dance on2, I do some taps if I use timing closer to 234 678. If I use timing closer to 123 567, as usual in NY style, I omit taps

For me, when dancing socially, it's not about does it look cool, but does it feel cool. I dance for myself and my partner, not for the spectators. I used to dance for spectators in my ballroom days in late 80s/early 90s

Hope that helps :)

8. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

The "kick"(on 1) for the want of a better name, used to be very prevalent in old school Mambo, and may still be seen in some dancers usage.

The " Tap " is much more common in Cuban Son, and occurs on 1 on the basic .

Taps, Kicks, are simply accents that " mark " the bar ,and there is now right or wrong as to usage, just preference .

9. IsaacAltman

IsaacAltman Member

Well in my humble opinion it can look cool if you look cool doing it. You certainly do not want to look artificial, as that is not cool. Remember, a style and timing are 2 different issues. On1 and On2 are timing and Cuban, Colombian, L.A., and Puerto Rican/N.Y. are styles of Salsa that can be danced either timing.

Sunsetdancer likes this.
  10. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Since no one paid attention to this part of your question, let me just say that if you think it looks cool, and like Issac said, "You look cool doing it", then you have no reason to have stopped. Go for it.

ajiboyet likes this.
  11. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

This.

There is a continuous body motion which I try to create, which is the reason why I pass my feet on 4 and 8. Tapping would kinda break that motion, and I don't want that.

When I'm in a rueda, however...the patterns of movement are different, and I probably wouldn't consider it obstructive to my dancing to tap on 4 and 8. However, I still do not do it.

This also.

If you feel good doing something, and it doesn't disturb your partner or the people dancing around you, please do it. Create your own style. I'm assuming you're a social dancer though.

12. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Going back to the OP's question, I do it a bit in my salsa... but I'm also a Latin ballroom dancer. Tap, point, kick, ronde, shake, etc... I'll add whatever styling component to my salsa I feel like. Who cares if it's cool? Just have fun creating your own style. Over time you'll feel comfortable even with "shines" which some people may see as completely dorky.

13. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Yes, I am; social dancer, long time professional, performer, coach, and adjudicator

Sunsetdancer likes this.