General Dance Discussion > The Fall of Disco?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Apr 17, 2004.

1. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

:lol: As a teenager during the 80's (besides commercial R&B) I was into the trashiest Euro disco. Some of the stuff were so hard to find I ended up hangin' at this underground record store where the DJs were & trying to absorb as much info as I could. This was before I was old enough to go clubbing, and my dream was to become a DJ 8) (of course no one took me seriously......being a young girl in the 80's sucked :roll: )!

Then salsa changed my whole world.

To this day, I still own a huge collection of trashy Euro disco vinyls..... not sure what to do with them....... :?

2. Mich

Mich New Member

Disco

Toot toot, Beep beep!

I was moritifed when I saw my parents dancing disco many years ago. And then I was very impressed and proud.

I love 70's music. And I am still learning and practicing hustle. When it works, it's wonderful. It's my second favorite dance, behind cha cha.
    Keeping the syncopation with your partner is tough but lots of fun.

What's the step for trance??

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Re: Disco

I've never heard of a step for trance. I always thought it referred to the music.

4. pelao

pelao New Member

yea, trance is only a genre; there really is no step for these types of dance music. Usually, you'll just see people doing various steps and body movements. But it also differs between age groups and event settings. At raves its a little more wild, and theres just so many younger kids there, they really don't realize that you don't have to jump around like a baboon to express yourself (i've seen them wild out to some mellow tunes also). Usually, at clubs, you'll find a much older crowd; they usually like a more mellow style of dancing where you have a fluid motion in your body, and the stepping is minimal - its really about how you move your body, rather than your steps.

5. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

This Owl seconds that, being a more recent convert to House or at least a couple of its sub-genres (Deep and Jazz-House :D ) House is great to do hustle to (some House tunes even lend themselves to a killer Samba if one is inclined), the sparser arrangemens are so cool.

On my dance webpage, I offered a few thoughts as to Disco's fall:

www.geocities.com/theowlwatches/owldances.html

6. MagicFeet

MagicFeet New Member

Nice to see that some of you have real knowledge of music. All that Pelao and Youngsta have said is right on !!

I used to be a DJ in nightclubs in the 70's during the height of the Disco area and remember well the day where Disco was officailly declared "dead". Most of us DJ were wondering what would happen to our jobs, would clubs close etc. But in actuality, none of us ever stopped working due to the fall out of Disco. As mentioned previously, House has been the replacement and as Youngsta pointed out, Disco House is as close as you can get to the old style Disco. If anyone of you is curious, and you live in a city big enough to have a shop for DJ, just walk in and ask for the section for Disco House, you will be amazed to see the selection .. and oh, by the way, be prepared to see vinyl again!!

I always said that Disco, and still to this day, has some of the most original beats that you can find ... Even as a DJ, almost 30 years ago, I used to love the Disco beat ... I just could have done without the lyrics!!
    So next time that you hear an old Disco classic, try to just listen to the instrumental part ... block off the lyrics and you will find some of the best dance beats !!

MagicFeet

7. etchuck

etchuck New Member

If you get a chance, watch "When Disco Ruled the World" on VH1. Certainly I got much more music appreciation/history lesson from that, which is gladly repeated here (albeit here with more detail).

8. Neil

Neil Member

Are any of you familiar with the music that DJ Bobby Morales or New York plays for Hustle dancers? It's some kind of house music, I guess. He says the music is all new. It has the right rhythm for dancing hustle, but it also sounds kind of boring, like royalty free music. Maybe the only problem is that I'm not used to hearing them yet. I know that a lot of people who specialize in Hustle dance, especially the ones who have been doing it for thirty years, have gotten tired of the classic disco sounds that were popular back in the day, but I still like them.

9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

You know. Ever since I started this thread, I've been listening to "dance" radio stations both locally and on XM satellite radio. You know what? Hustle is alive and well. :shock: I'm guessing a lot of newbies (i.e. people under forty lol) don't know the steps. But the music is definitely hustle-worthy. I assume it's 21st century house I'm listening to. 8)

10. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Gee whiz! It's amazing what you find when you dig through your CDs. I had forgotten I had "Precious Little Fantansy" by Precious. Came out around Summer 2000. It has Kraftwerk's "Number" in the track. Updated dance version. I love this. Jammin' in my office chair now. Go Peach! Yeah, Yeah Aha...Go Peach! :banana: Oh sorry....Ahem...., back to work. :oops: 8)

11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

As far as I can tell . . . "Disco is alive and well."

There is a local Valley station here, 101.2, that plays nothing but disco, and at least 90% of the music is Hustleable!

I was one of those "stage" dancers back in those days!

I bet if I looked in some old unpacked boxes, I could find some of those "City Limits" pants, polyester shirts, and some old platform shoes - what goes around comes back around . . . well, at least they're good for Halloween costumes!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Adwiz

Adwiz New Member

:lol: Me too! When I first met my wife, I was one of those arrogant types in the white suit who would get on the dance floor and everyone would clear it to see the solo and clap with the beat <hangs head in shame>.

We would watch the Solid Gold dancers on TV show us new dance moves every week and practice them like crazy so that when we got back to the club it would look like the step was old news.

While the Disco experience was pretty cool, the music was for the most part overly predictable. House music isn't nearly as bad in this regard. What killed Disco, however, was not so much the music as it was society's over-emphasis. Suddenly everything was disco. Every television ad, clothing styles and movies tried to get in on the action and that overexposure turned it into a mainstream fad that killed the whole thing as people distanced themselves from the stereotype.

There was a great exhibit at Seattle's Experience Music Project museum on Disco last summer. Even had a dance floor and you could try your hand at mixing the music as a DJ. Pretty cool. The exhibit went into all the cultural issues and did a great job of explaining why Disco died such a cruel death.

The exhibit also pointed out that many of today's Latin dances, especially Salsa, Cha Cha and Samba (the Hustle lives on unchanged), basically got their start during the Disco era. In that sense, Disco carries on, subdued but still vibrant.

13. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I thought it was the BeeGees that killed disco. :wink: :lol: :lol:

14. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I agree, Adwiz, Disco is still around . . . even the music! Sometimes I hear our two teens listening to the radio . . . to old disco stuff!

The Hustle I did back then was a solo performance . . . today it's a couple dance . . . however, our 'swing-type' dance that we did back then strongly resembles the Hustle of today!

15. hustleisfun

hustleisfun New Member

Disco isn't dead per se, it's just been renamed. There's tons of history out there about it, now that the historians have had the time (and guts) to unwind and report on what really happened.
    Anyways, "disco dancing" refers to singles dancing with no connection, and "hustle dancing" refers to the touch dance...it's a real couples dance!

Phil Owl likes this.
  16. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I was doing some reading on this the other day... Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" was sort of the bridge from disco to electronica. After she and Giorgio Moroder did that, all of a sudden, a lot of disco groups started to investigate synths and sequencers. And then there were groups that started out as punkers and came at it from the other direction. I still remember the first time I heard New Order's "Blue Monday" and though, "Wow, that bass line is straight from disco." George Clinton was mentioned up-thread, and his various groups were coming at it from a funk grounding, at about the same time.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  17. Xelebes

Xelebes Member

I know this post is 13 years old but the question was never answered.

The dances done are:

Melbourne Shuffle: Dance comes from Australia and originally done to indie rock. Footwork begins with feet in T-position. Then you switch the T-position on the next beat. Doing this vigourously allows you to shuffle across the floor and do pretty neat turns.

Malaysian Shuffle: A derivative of the Melbourne Shuffle but more walking steps are allowed.

Brazillian Shuffle: Another derivative that I have yet to figure out.

Phat Walk: from North America, I estimate. Done in phat pants (really wide bell-bottoms), the feet sweep in an exaggerated march allowing the pants to fan.

Jumpen: this dance developed after the question posed. Done to really bouncy trance (aka hardstyle/jumpstyle), but the jumps resemble the phat walk without the phat pants. Typically done as a line dance. Dance originates from Belgium-Netherlands.

Liquid: this dance is a freestyle where the goal is to make the body look like jelly or made of fluid. Can implement other steps as desired but usually an upper-body dance.

Throwing Shapes: A rather obsolete dance originally done to EBM and New Beat. The legs don't really do much other than march to the beat. It is a hands-oriented dance, similar to voguing. Dance is from Belgium.

Gloving: another hands dance where the dancer wears white gloves that glow under blacklights. The goal is to make the hands do interesting things. This dance is often done sitting down, in and around the cuddle-puddles.

Para-Para: A line dance from Japan that focuses on the hand movement.

Hakken: a very fast dance usually done to gabber but can be done to very fast forms of trance (Finnish Freeform, Trancecore). The hands move like axes (hakken = hacking) and the feet alternate between a simple march and a cross-lift. And on occasion the hand slaps the foot.

18. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

if they are in good condition they are worth $$$....list some titles

19. tangotime

[QUOTE="Adwiz, post: 47639, member:

The exhibit also pointed out that many of today's Latin dances, especially Salsa, Cha Cha and Samba

(the Hustle lives on unchanged),

basically got their start during the Disco era. In that sense, Disco carries on, subdued but still vibrant.

[/QUOTE]

First[ Hustle went thru 3 changes.. Simple single time,..Latin Hustle ( My fav ) and 3 count .

As old school mambo faded in the mid 70s, salsa emerged and many of the swing/ hustle variations merged with salsa .

As to getting their "start " they ( Cha etc ) were all around long before Hustle hit the street .

20. tangotime

it was always a couple dance.
    I attended the first east coast conference for Prof in Palm Beach in the 70s, when the music began to get exposure. The basic dance then was single time and the Pro's decided on naming it Latin hustle which had syncopations in its basic, and looked similar to WCS except it had a horizontal plane.
    And of course, the pro genitor was from the Travolta movie .