Ballroom Dance > Throwaway - Same Foot Lunge group?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Chris Stratton, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Can anyone help me with some details of the throwaway oversway - same foot lunge - open telemark group?

My principal question is how much time to take for each part of it.

Also curious what method of 'switch' you prefer... I've seen both in place versions that just drop into the lunge, and ones where there is an actual step on the same foot into the lunge.

2. swan

swan Member

You're not coming out of Open Telemark, right? How do you end up w/ that? I could think of Reverse Pivot, or...

Couple of options here:

1) Sharp Throwaway, like tango (finishing off the throwaway in &12, so only 1 bar) & then by 3 recover & slow down to same foot lunge & you could take a bit longer in same foot lunge (like swaying & changing your partner's head a bit before your next step)

** I personally prefer the above, creates contrast between the 2 picture lines.

2) More straight timing, 2 bars in Throwaway. In this combo, I wouldn't dwell too much on Same Foot lunge and bother to sway & change the partner's head, as the 2 picture lines would take too much time already.

I prefer the switch by taking a step on the same foot (ie sliding to same foot lunge). The only time I'd 'drop' to same foot lunge is to do the same foot lunge followed by develope and then drop back to same foot lunge.

3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

As swan mentions, in Tango you want a sharp throwaway, and it's usually followed by a challenge line before doing whatever the next figure is.

In Waltz and Foxtrot you will usually want two bars--taking one to step back into the throwaway and one to develop it. You have the option of doing the challenge line to exit, just rising and dropping into the SFL line (which is not really actually performing a SFL), or actually recovering and stepping into the SFL. Your exit determines the time you spend in each phase.

4. JoepiE

JoepiE New Member

I think it really depense on the effect you're trying to create. If you want this combination to be a moment of rest in a very fast program you can take all the time. You could also make an accent in the variation, 2 bars for the throwaway oversway (not more unless you're really good) and a really sudden same foot lunge, a quick open telemark to continue with a pretty smooth combi again.

It's all about what you want it to look like. What meaning you want to give it in relation to the rest of your program.

I would probably "check" out of the oversway on 3 (make an accent) with full weight still on your left foot. 1 count rest. 2 bars for the lunch and continue with the open telemark just as it is. If this was the Slow Foxtrot. In Tango I'd prefer the 1 option swan mentioned. In Slow Waltz I'd take 2 bars for the oversway, smoothly into the lunch and then speed up to make an accent with the telemark.

5. swan

swan Member

I was actually thinking about doing the Tango sharp Throwaway in Waltz. Both options I mentioned were referring to the Waltz timing.

One could do slow throwaway followed by sharp same foot lunge or vice versa. It's just my personal preference w/ the sharp throwaway w/ smooth SFL. Or one can take very long time and do slow throwaway & slow SFL, but I'd only do that if it's like the other DF folks mentioned - after very fast figures & you need to take bit of rest.

I guess I must have not known how I usually recover. I kept thinking it's reverse pivot action, may be that's the Open telemark? :) Well, these days I'd recover from SFL to a hover corte, & I don't go into SFL from throwaway, so...

6. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

The SFL exit I was thinking of is a a quick reverse pivot for the lady only on her left foot, followed by a telemark or similar figure (commenced with her R, his L).

7. swan

swan Member

Yes, that's the one...OK, now I see how the Open Telemark was linked in. That makes sense. Of course, I'm the follower, so I only know I have to do a reverse pivot to get out before I can do a telemark.