Swing Discussion Boards > to tap or not to tap (Hustle)

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by opendoor, Nov 27, 2010.

1. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

Hustle war

I'm getting the impression that in many areas of the country the dispute over steps in Hustle has led to bad feelings in the dancing communities. Studios had feuds and the conflicts were severe enough that Hustle communities split up into subgroups.

I am very curious about the history of the Hustle conflict because I haven't been around long enough to know what happened. Where would be a good place to read about it?

2. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

you can archive rons bess newsletter-for some of the conflicts & comments, his name will come up with a engine search, also ive seen more hatred from the hustle community than any other and i"ve been to almost every kind of dance u can think of here in the USA, somebody started the & 123 and turned it into a ballroom type sylibiss -patterns etc, this came from NY but not every New yorker followed suite, its a fact that is was a 4 count easy to do dance too dance-somepeople excelled in the dance naturally-its very dynamic if done correct in the sense of freedom/flair/ dip/ lifts etc..

3. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

"3" count Hustle, as it became known was an offshoot from Swing.

The original Latin Hustle that emerged in 1976 ( sometimes called the 6 count ), it actually was 7, was found to be too complex for many students and so the Merengue style 4 count was invented ( all in single time ). The next innovation was the 3 count or " street " style that was favored by the younger set .

4. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

I found the Bess website but his newsletter is poorly categorized. I wasn't able to find stuff on this topic.

5. Early Girl

Early Girl New Member

It's true that the Latin Hustle as danced in clubs in the 70's definitely had a tap or, for the lady, a kick. I also agree that some time around 1977, the count morphed from tap (or kick)/return on 2 counts, step/step/step on 2 counts, then step/step on the next two to tap (or kick)/return on 2 counts, and step/step on the next 2 counts.
    However, I disagree that this had anything to do with dance teachers, or their students finding the original steps too complex. It was simply the result of a huge increase in the number of club dancers with prior experience in Latin dances. I danced in dozens of clubs with hundreds of partners and, as far as I know, not a single one ever took a hustle lesson.

6. hustleisfun

hustleisfun New Member

SO many things going on at that time, extremely fast evolution of the music (particularly Philly Soul) that was preferred by the best hustle dancers. Contrary to the movies, Donna Summer and the like were not the favorite picks. So the dance quickly eveolved into the 3 count, which is all that has been taught (pretty much) in the US for the last 30 years. There were all kinds of other counts, just look at the back of the famous "Hustle Album" to see a sample, a lot of it was just made up for people to make a buck. It was only natural for it to settle down to where it is now and time has forgotten the rest of the other stuff.

7. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Latin hustle lives on in certain areas ( This is what I would teach if asked for Hustle ).. Musically more complex and I prefer its style . I guess because I taught that style for many moons .