Ballroom Dance > Types of underwear for dance

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Leonid Turetsky, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Hey guys,

I am researching on the type of underwear that is best suitable for Latin and Ballroom dancers. Can you tell me which underwear you prefer to dance in and why? This can be for dance practices or competitions.

For women this can include: Briefs, bikinis, boy shorts, thongs, etc..
    For men: Briefs, boxers, boxer briefs, dance belts, etc..

Also comment on the look and feel of the underwear for when you are dancing in it.

Thanks

2. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

Interesting topic! Might be TMI...

For practice: If practicing in pants, whatever I'm wearing normally that day is fine (usually cotton bikini, string bikini or boy shorts). If practicing in skirt, I wear either tights or shorts under the skirt. In this case, boy shorts don't work well because they bunch up.

For costume: Synthetic/stretchy g-string. Not panty lines. Comfy.

3. etp777

etp777 Active Member

mid-rise briefs, cotton. support and breathability. Also don't bunch up under my pants the way my boxers used to

4. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Active Member

5. Hehe.. don't know if I'd want you in my class...

6. kckc

kckc Active Member

TMI? I got yer TMI right here:

For practice, I only wear skirts cuz I get too warm otherwise, so I wear Warners 5739 No Wedgies, No Worries panties. They are the same weight as "dance pants" from dancewear suppliers, and They. Do. Not. Ride. Up. Yea!

For costumes, which almost always have a bodysuit built in, I wear Jockey No VPL panties under my fishnets (I think that is close to the real name. 90% Tactel/10% nylon, I think. I can't read print that microscopic). They are extremely lightweight, and No VPL.

7. Thanks for sharing...So I just looked up the Warners 5739 and they are pretty much like boy shorts?

8. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

For lessons/practice: whatever I'm already wearing (usually take lessons/practice in wide-leg, slinky pants).

For skirts: black cotton full-coverage "grannie panties"--same coverage as dance pants, lots more comfortable.

For costumes with bodysuits: cotton bikini or commando (depending on cut/comfort/possible visibility of bodysuit)

9. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Something that won't show!

10. kckc

kckc Active Member

no, they are cut slightly higher than boy shorts. Not super high cut, but enough to fit someone who carries their weight lower without cutting across like boy shorts, which can cause shape distortion and therefore distress:) Also, on the back there is a "stay-put" type of strip approx. 3/4" wide which is really nice.

11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

um...I'm just going to opt out on this one

12. LOL... sharing is cool!

13. pinkstuff

pinkstuff Member

Anything that doesn't show or cause "lines"! ;-)

After watching a recent competition, realised it is v.v. important to have a trial run at home!

14. Yes the idea is to have something not show lines but be comfortable and feel secure

15. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Security, I would imagine, is of greater concern to guys than us girls.

Always dance in/wear the same thing--Victoria's Secret cotton v-string. Always comfy, never migrate, never show lines. If I'm wearing a dress/skirt that will fly up, I'll wear bike shorts.

16. pinkstuff

pinkstuff Member

Ok, with competition dress for latin, usually something high-cut so it doesn't show under leotard. (e.g. ?thong or bikini - but not totally sure what you meant by this one!). Plus fishnets.

Ballroom dress/practice, granny pants or boy pants, either as long as there is no VPL or lines ;)

17. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I have a definite answer to this question. Get Undergear's Body Trimmer Brief
    http://www.undergear.com/Product/Un...-A4551XLWHITEzz/I-A455_XL_WHITE/navtheme/dept

This is my top secret for attracting so many women on dance floor; they all say that I am trim and masculine for my age. You can pick a few others under "body enhancers."

18. legato

legato Active Member

Um, er... silk knit no-show seamed or french cut - it has to breath, also as when I'm stressed, my skin becomes hypersensitive...am a huge fan of almost anything in silk knit, including tee shirts for practice wear (nice with a dance crepe ballroom skirt). Geez, this really is sharing! Thinking of starting a line of dance undies, Leonid?

19. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Ummm, yeah...

20. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Ahhhh, ok, I'll make one comment. There was a lady in a mid-length white dress at a studio with tight leggings on.

DP told me they were "Spanks", whatever the heck those are. Said they "hold everything in place", to which I replied, "So when she takes them off, it's like a mud slide?" Almost got smacked for that one...