General Dance Discussion > Urgent attire-ish question for the ladies.

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Peaches, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

OK. I know that this is a PG-rated forum, so I'm going to try my best not to be offensive. I'm asking this in all seriousness.

I've got a black-tie holiday ball coming up, and I'm tring to decide between 2 dresses to wear. One is a backless halter dress, the other is a very low backed spaghetti strap dress. Both of them are secure enough (or can easily be made secure enough) that I don't have to worry about, shall we say...a select 2 out of my 2000 parts showing unexpectedly. So far, so good.

What I don't know is how to prevent, ah, a whole lotta' shakin' goin' on, if you catch my drift. I can't wear a bra, even a low backed one, with either dress because of the styles. But I don't exactly have faith that a sticky-sided/no back one would do the trick. If I was smaller I wouldn't have as much concern; I'm not very big on top (solid B), but big enough that I have to figure something out.

I've seen plenty of very skimpy latin dresses, so I know there must be something I can do. I don't want to have to sit out every ECS or samba. Any suggestions, ladies?

(And once again, moderators, I hope I haven't run afoul of any posting guidelines. I'm not trying to be crude, I'm genuinely trying to get some information.)

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

ahem, sounds like a fair question to me...and I will give my best answer...I am er...more endowed than you... and have found the sticky's(when bought in the right cup size) to work just fine and at several sizes larger than you and probably a good bit older(its a gravity thing)...all was fine...you can also double up on those puppies as well...ie use two on each "part"

3. It's Wonderful

It's Wonderful New Member

Hmm, a toughy. In my experience (as a solid c-d) a backless bra does a whole lot more than you'd think. But then, I haven't tried one dancing. Can you maybe try one on in-store with a halter shirt, and see how it performs in a dressing room groove session? Good luck!

4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, fascination. When you're talking about stickies being OK, are you talking about these...

www2.victoriassecret.com/commerce/application/prodDisplay/?namespace=productDisplay&origin=onlineProductDisplay.jsp&event=display&prnbr=SG-139557&page=1&cgname=OSBRPSHAZZZ&rfnbr=2480

or this (which I have, which is what I'm not convinced will do the trick)...

www2.victoriassecret.com/commerce/application/prodDisplay/?namespace=productDisplay&origin=onlineProductDisplay.jsp&event=display&prnbr=SG-151544&page=1&cgname=OSBRPSHAZZZ&rfnbr=2480

5. fascination

I am not at all dedicated enough to figure out how to cut and paste those links and look at what you are talking about...what I will say is this...I bought the expensive variety at LS Ayres which were shaped like half a cup and then sort of had wings on both sides and those were flimsy crap...I bought size D industrial strength ones from walmart and put two on each side and all was well....havent been to victorias secret in ages...ballgowns are $3000.00 a piece ya know...;)

6. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

Here are the links made clickable

I've used strapless bras, and even though they FEEL like they will fall off at the least exertion they really do stay up.

7. Rosa

Rosa New Member

I've used them too, and they do stay up, but you have to watch out for the "bulge" above and below them. Sorry I can't think of a better way of describing that, but I think most women will know what I mean.

Some are better than others. It's just a question of fit, and also getting one that suits the general build of your body, not just the two "parts."

Rosa :)

8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Double-sided tape!

9. amrimi

amrimi New Member

Doesn't work for sweaty activities like salsa dancing

10. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Absolutely true! No tapin', falsies, or whatever for me. (Perky B cup, that's it!) I have to select a dress that will make me look great and not cause a faux pas, so I do without the backless stuff and strappy across-the-back things. I go for a low, cleave showing neckline so I can push what little I have upwards and make it look like I at least have something. IT WORKS and it stays put!!!

11. fascination

did someone say something about falsies?I didnt and I doubt anyone would b/c from what I've seen if you've got those you dont have to worry about these issues...nuf said...way more than nuff said

12. wyllo

wyllo New Member

You can have bra cups sewn into your dress (or do it yourself for that matter). Of course, that depends on how form-fitting the dress is and whether or not the fabric is sturdy enough to handle it. The barely there latin competition dresses have a bra sewn-in for maximum support and coverage.

I've also had good experience with the stick-on bras from Victoria's Secret and I think they stay better than strapless bras.

13. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

I suppose I get no sympathy for having the opposite problem that all of you are talking about <good natured "humph">

14. redhead

redhead New Member

no, I'm jealous in fact - you can wear anything you want

15. Rosa

Rosa New Member

True. No need for a bra at all.

Rosa :)

16. RhumbaWaltz

RhumbaWaltz New Member

I used to do a LOT of tap and jazz (which translates into a lot of "shaking"), and as a solid "C" here's what worked for me:

Wear a dress / costume that allows you to wear a bra
    OR
    Sew in bra cups if the back is really low
    AND
    Use double sided tape around the side edge of the dress / costume.
    AND
    Make sure the straps are solid and tight enough.

Have fun at your party!! :)
    RW

17. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

When I had a dress with this problem, Victoria Secret Nu Bra worked very well for me. And I am, ahem, about the same size as Peaches.

18. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

I've seen something in department stores that looks like it might work. It has bra cups and separate adhesive cups that you attach the bra cups with. The adhesive part covers most of the cup area and also goes up the sides a bit. I've never tried it, but it looks pretty secure. I think the company that makes it is called Fashion Forms.

19. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Make sure your skin is completely clean before you apply the adhesive, or it may not stick. I use alcohol. :cool:

20. redhead

redhead New Member

so you can't wear it with fake tan huh