Dancers Anonymous > User Interface Improvements

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Mar 10, 2016.

1. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

It's on the bottom of the screen... still not where it's supposed to be though.

Lioness, Joe and stash like this.
  2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Maybe that's the new UI!

3. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I didn't even think to look there. That's really annoying.

MaggieMoves likes this.
  4. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Menu bar on the bottom on my desktop also. Hope everyone else can hunt it down, not a place people are used to looking. The spambots will probably have no problems finding it. :(

stash likes this.
  5. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

It is fixed now, right?
    Sorry, but this forum acquired a dedicated server to run and we have to pay the bills which involves putting up banners and sometimes breaking things. Lol

6. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Yes, fixed! (Haven't checked mobile, but it's correct on my computer.)

stash and MaggieMoves like this.
  7. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Just saw this now. Been on the road since 11am. It's fixed now.

8. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, but dance forums has been crashing/freezing my browser (Firefox 47.0.1, windows 7 home premium) today and yesterday. Did something change with the ads or something else recently?

I haven't noticed this with any other sites I visit, just dance forums. Anyone else having trouble?

9. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I haven't had it crashing, but I have noticed when I have DF open in Chrome and on my laptop it sucks my battery and makes my fan run. As soon as I close the DF tab, Chrome battery usage goes down and the fan stops. There is definitely something up with the ads.

10. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Get a Mac. Get an I phone. Life is good

11. raindance

Not really an option for some of us, for various reasons. And any modern website has to be able to handle windows, mac, android, iphone, and some other smaller players. (Even iTunes works on windows!)

Larinda McRaven and Mr 4 styles like this.
  12. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I have both. MacBook Air and iPhone 6s. Lol. Can't afford a iMac yet. Plus no where to put it if we got one. But a girl can dream.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  13. snapdancer

I noted what Stash said about her PC running hotter with DF open. Using Windows Task Manager, my PCs CPU usage increases from < 5% to 25% when I have a browser tab set on DF.

I suspect there is an issue with a script that runs much too often, maybe one that refreshes an ad. I wonder if that's why my smartphone sometimes runs the battery down faster than expected.

stash and Larinda McRaven like this.
  14. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

huh..
    my laptop is definitely overheated right now... had DF open for about 20 minutes.

15. snapdancer

I've done some further testing. The increased CPU usage absorbs one of the four cores in my CPU. Wonder if someone with a single core CPU would find that their computer slows to a crawl for doing anything else. This increased CPU usage is happening both on my desktop and a laptop, both in Firefox and IE.

stash and Larinda McRaven like this.
  16. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I use an ad blocker (I know, sorry, but...) and I'm not seeing the problem. So it's probably coming from one of the ads. I'm using Chrome under Windows 8.0.

Joe and stash like this.
  17. raindance

I got an ad blocker and the problem went away. Now I can visit DF more easily.

I visited DF on a different computer where I hadn't installed the ad blocker yet, and it crashed my browser. Installed the ad blocker there too, problem solved again.

I visit a number of other sites with a lot of ads (e.g. news sites, etc). These never crashed my browser, so it is something different on DF. But now that I have the ad blocker, those other sites sure load a lot more quickly! So the blocker has other benefits, and I'll keep it.

I don't know what the solution is for DF, since I realize you need the ad revenue. But if your ads are slowing people's computers, overheating their laptops, and crashing their browsers, you probably are going to get fewer people here, and the ones that come will spend less time here. So I think something needs to change.

stash likes this.
  18. raindance

And the ad blocker I use doesn't seem to block the smaller ads on the far right of the screen (the blocks that stay there). It is the upper and lower banner ads that get blocked. Don't know if that varies with different ad blockers.

19. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Supporting people's revenue is the only thing keeping me from installing an ad blocker. And I really don't want to. So if Dance Forums could fix the problem with their ads that would be fantastic. I don't think anyone of us here is saying get rid of them, just figure out what's wrong with the code...

20. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Just a test...
    [table]
    [tr]
    [td]1[/td]
    [td]2[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]