Ballroom Dance > wdsf and blackpool latin choreography

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ballroomdancertoo, Jul 5, 2017.

1. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Active Member

I can see that wdsf and the "blackpool" standard styles are different especially with the head movements but I don't see a big separation in the style when it comes to latin. can anyone enlighten me as to the basic difference in the latin dances? thanks in advance

2. Strong, stiffy, rough, and faster vs with flexible, gentle, silken are the difference easy seen in latin of WDsF and WDC

3. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I feel like in WDC, there is more connection in the couples - they dance with each other. It's also more dance-y, with fewer pure tricks and (sometimes overpowering) athleticism than in WDSF. WDC is where you're likely to see a pro or high-level amateur routine that includes a bunch of syllabus figures danced exceedingly well.

middy and MaggieMoves like this.
  4. ballroomdancertoo

sorry for the ignorance, is WDC related to blackpool? sounds like the syllabus figures danced exceedingly well is more like what I enjoy. too much "showy" doesn't say anything to the quality of the dance, IMHO.

tangotime likes this.
  5. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Some of the the latest pro stuff looks more like Cirque du Soleil than ballroom IMO.

ctbXVIII likes this.
  6. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

You took the words right out of my mouth. That said, I still enjoy a lot of WDSF pros.

7. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe Blackpool is just its own thing and not officially affiliated with WDC. That said, the preferred aesthetics from the Blackpool judging panel is more old-school and in-line with the WDC style than the WDSF style.

8. ballroomdancertoo

ok, that makes sense. I was wondering all the "camps" was starting to sound alike!

9. Mengu

Mengu Well-Known Member