Tango Argentino > Went to my first milonga...

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by BritishExpat3, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Another take on this would be someone like me who has never had a "private dance class" that I can think of. But, whether your lesson is private or group,it sure helps to have an instructor who understands, and can explain and / or demonstrate how to lead.

2. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Active Member

I have had problems with private lessons because there is always too much information to handle for me! I tried once to go down to 30mins lesson but it was not so popular concept.
    Today I am working more alone guided by Youtube lessons and with my partners. The addition is that after some months with a theme I take a lesson with a teacher or two to check that the moves have landed right into my body.

TangoBeyond likes this.
  3. TangoBeyond

TangoBeyond New Member

Interesting point LadyLeader...It's great to know how we learn best and customize our learning around that...

4. Reuven Thetanguero

Reuven Thetanguero Active Member

Some teachers indeed cram too much info in too short time. A good instructor will follow the pace YOU are comfortable with...

5. itwillhappen

itwillhappen Active Member

A solution would be a teacher that acts like a driving instructor - sitting on the co-driver's seat during the first hours, taking some stress from the beginner and intervening if necessary.
    The bad news is that I've seen only once a teacher that was able to arrange the transition from his group class to his milonga.

The other solution would be to stay personally focused on what is important(*) and not get distracted - but to learn that might take much more time than to learn tango:

(*) Once in a private I demonstrated my steps and the teacher mentioned above shouted apparently shocked "STOP - she is not looking happy!" :inlove:

6. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

Some teachers correct one thing by point to 10 things which lead to information saturation.
    And some teachers correct one thing which solves multiple issues.

But also some students want to be corrected all the time and teachers want to earn the salary. ;)

The approach matters. ;)

7. itwillhappen

itwillhappen Active Member

Yes - and I agree to your beginner advice.
    But what prevents you from enjoying the dancing at a "odd practica" and lets you strive to a milonga?
    A happy beginner follower is not more valuable than a happy advanced follower...

8. Chrisa Assis

Chrisa Assis Member

I think for most the first milonga is a scary experience...I still remember the first milonga I went to... I walked in and I sat right at the back, at a table where nobody could see me or so I thought...haha
    Of course people came to ask me to dance and in the beginning I had no idea what on earth was going on... And I was a follower being a leader is much harder--I know because I lead too.
    It was unnerving but at the same time thrilling... I only danced 3 tandas I remember and that was more than enough for me... And I think this were most people go wrong...
    We think that milonga is a place to dance, therefore if we are not dancing we are losers... or as very recently someone pointed out to me, if we pay an entrance fee we have to get the most out of our money...
    Both mentalities are wrong though... The milonga is the place were you will SEE how Tango is danced. It is the place to get inspired by beautiful dancers. A place to make new friends and start building bonds with a new community. So there are so many more things to do than to just dance.
    Plus, what is best to dance 2 tandas and feel good or to dance 10 tandas and feel awful?

I think you did great... You went there after ONLY a month and a half of classes--too soon I think-- and you danced...AND most importantly you realized when you had to stop dancing being respectful to the other dancers on the dance floor... There are people dancing for years and years and they still can't grasp that they shouldn't be doing lifts in the milonga...(don't laugh it is the truth...hahaha)

I would say sit back a bit, take your time with your classes, enjoy this learning phase. Go to milongas rather early to get a few dances in before the floor gets too crowded and then watch other people dance, get inspired and make new friends!

You are doing a lot better than you think! :)

opendoor and Tango Distance like this.
  9. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

I fully agree and do firmly recommend to visit milongas regularly before one starts to take tango dance lessons.