West Coast Swing

Discussion in 'Videos' started by GJB, Jan 31, 2007.

1. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

2. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

3. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

I always thought West Coast Swing looked a bit like soup... But some of these videos are spectacular.

j_alexandra likes this.
  4. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

: )

Back in the 90s it was more of a "bar dance". A lot of dancers did not have a dance background and started dancing as adults and learned to dance in bars. The dance has grown alot in the last ten years or so. I think the versatility of the dance is attracting more people with dance backgrounds and more people are coming to the dance because they like the music. There has been an explosion in the number of people competing as well - mostly in Jack and Jill and Strictly Swing and it seems that Rising Star is also becoming popular. The rise in competitions has caused more people to take lessons and practice so in some areas the level of social dancing is pretty good. Alot of emphasis is placed on musicality too even for social dancing. Women like the fact that it allows them to be more creatively involved in the dance compared to some of the other partner dances.

So when are you going to come out and try it : )

MaggieMoves likes this.
  5. MaggieMoves

I've only done it socially, and I'll be the first to admit I don't think I'm good at all at it. I just don't "feel" the music through the floor in WCS. Have a few dance friends that absolutely love it though, and we're going out tomorrow to a place that features it.

6. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Where ?

7. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Makes mental note to grab Maggie moves for a wcs next time I'm in her area

8. MaggieMoves

Answered in PM. But it's still up in the air. You know how things are, people can't get their act together.

Mostly what I need is a lesson in musicality from it, stemming from the basic movement. Once I'm in a turn I know what to do, but the basic break movement I just feel "meh" about every single time.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  9. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

MaggieMoves likes this.
  10. MaggieMoves

As good as they are... and as pretty as it is to watch, I see it a little funny to watch them travel so much. Although you can say the same for some Latin dances as well.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  11. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

The dance doesn't normally travel that much. The Champions J&J and Strictly Divisions are kind of a show and they usually do use alot of the floor. It is pretty ironic considering that supposedly the dance was invented to take up less floor space after the dance halls closed after WWII.

stash and Mr 4 styles like this.
  12. Mr 4 styles

My wcs and salsa take up the same amount of space approximately

13. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Jordan and Tatiana's 2015 and last U.S. Open routine.

stash and MaggieMoves like this.
  14. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

A nice way to go out !!!

15. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Maxence Martin & Virginie Grodin US Open 2015 routine

16. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Ben Morris and Victoria Henk US Open 2015 routine

17. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Jordan & Tatiana won Classic for the 11th time !

18. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Benji Schwimmer & Nicole Clonch US Open 2015 Showcase Champions. I love it !!!

MaggieMoves likes this.
  19. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

20. Mr 4 styles

Benjis routine is full of Mickey mousing.........and it's friggin fantastic!!!!!!!!!