Tango Argentino > What are the 5 top reasons that make a man ask a woman to dance? Beauty comes first?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Paula M, Jul 29, 2010.

1. c955

c955 New Member

http://www.dance-forums.com/threads/having-fun-at-milongas.22873/page-3#post-1098237

To improve the chances of dancing with slim Latinas outside BsAs, you should start by only going to your preferred tango events where all the women are under 40 years old and there are 2-3 of them to 1 man :D

Seriously though, you're absolutely entitled to try to get a dance with whoever you want according to whatever personal criteria you impose and I fully support your right to do so, but I don't understand why you describe the layout of a room/venue in hostile terms? Followers are not opponents or enemies. None of us are there (I believe!) to 'win', 'compete' or 'fight'...are we?! :eek::confused:

itwillhappen likes this.
  2. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

For the price of a ticket to Buenos Aires I can get 20 private lessons locally.
    I even didn't count the lodging - probably, another 20 private lessons.

A Latina told me that the lesson price with a good maestro in Buenos Aires increases exponentially if he thinks that you are not an Argentinian.
    Here is another reason to go to a lesson locally when the same maestro visits your city.

3. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

When there are 10 women sitting together in a row, it's difficult to approach them.
    If a woman wants to be approached, she has to take a chair away and sit lonely or to stand in a place where dancers mingle. So, you should check if the layout allows mingling.

That's one of the main reasons why a man approaches one woman or another.
    Also, there is nothing wrong when a woman approached a man.

It's always difficult to approach slim female dancers. Everybody wants to dance with them.

4. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Active Member

This milonga in Seoul has had the most crowded seating i have ever seen. They used only cabeceo but I do not know how exactly it was managed. This was the milonga i gave up not only because of the difficulties with the cabeceo but mostly because the pista was totally filled up for every tanda.

2015 Korea 14June -04871 60 prcent  s.jpg

5. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

And I can tell that organizers have quotas per country and since there are so many events there were beginners at some events.

A bit snobbish, but at those events, dancers need to have physical and mental stamina which is built over the time.

6. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Of course, you must not have lessons in BsAs, who told you you should? Also the quality of teaching is lower in BsAs than it is elsewhere. The culture is the reason for traveling to BsAs.
    That´s alright, portenas and portenas cannot afford us or european prices. Chicho, one of the best teachers around, told me, that he differentiates the price. Some guys he teaches for free.

Mladenac likes this.
  7. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

That's why you check the layout beforehand.
    I can tell from the photo that the ball room is extremely small for the amount of people.

But these Asian ladies are wonderful.

8. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Active Member

Vincenze I always check beforehand! But you never know how one night will be! This was an extremely interesting night and definitely worth the entrance fee!

9. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

For me, my one evening at this place, before the new management, will always be a high point of my dancing AT. A similar high point in my swing dancing would have been if I had been fortunate enough (and interested early enough) to meet or take lessons from Frankie Manning or Dean Collins.

For some of us, AT is not just a dance. It's about a culture and the place that (with all the qualifications we might add) gave birth to the dance and the customs that go along with it. A trip to BA is one way to test yourself on how well you've learned that culture.

10. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

I wonder where one can take a private lesson for around $50 in this part of a hemisphere. It has been a long while since I had seen that price. The lowest for a package of 20 lessons with a competent instructor is nowadays $1500, and it's considered a damping/special discount price.
    Parallel universe, indeed.

11. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

I can get a 20-lesson package for $1,200. But it's just for me, for a specific week day and time. "Do not mention it to anyone!", of course.
    It's not with Chicho, but it doesn't matter.

I imagine it would be even easier with a 40-lesson package.
    Even with your prices 40 lessons will be $3,000 or less.
    You can spend that much by flying and staying in Buenos Aires for 3 weeks. Or you can have a private lesson every week for 40 weeks.

12. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

There is no special value for a beginner in learning with Chicho.
    I imagine Chicho will be bored to death.

13. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

I don't know.
    The photo above from Seoul entices me to go there instead of Lo de Celia.

I consider Asian ladies to be on par with Latinas or even slightly above.
    They also rarely reject invitations. Moreover, they like to invite me themselves.

14. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

Also, you won't get discounted rates from a male teacher.
    Many women book privates with male teachers just for the sake of dancing. "Everybody is a klutz except my Argentinian teacher."

15. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

I seriously don't know how one could manage to give lessons on that budget. If I get out of the house for less than $40 I lose money right on the spot. If I have to work on top of that, let's say, for a minimum wage, which is ridiculous in case of a professional dance instructor, I still won't make anything because the studio rent costs more.
    Perhaps, one teaches in the privacy of their own home, but it's still not free. There is rent/mortgage, cleaning, wear and tear, etc.
    There may be reasons an instructor would give free lessons or even subsidize someone's dance education, but that's another kind of story.

16. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

A lot of people work for $100 per day after taxes.
    If a professional instructor has 3 students in a row in a day, she can earn $200-300 that day. That's not very bad at all.

There is a lot of competition among teachers here. There are teachers who have no dancing degrees or vast experience, but they still teach and attract students.
    It's not uncommon to go to a group class with only 5 students: 5 x $15 isn't much different from what I pay.

17. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Your experiences are different from mine. The cabeceo works well in BsAs (and quite a few other places), if people are interested in dancing with you. In other places, people do mingle and ask each other (verbally) to dance. Basically, when in Rome, do as the Romans do.

A question: What is keeping you from being the courageous man, that you say some of them are waiting for?

Lilly_of_the_valley likes this.
  18. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

I said that I approach them sometimes.
    But if there is a lonely lady, then she is a much easier target. I can come closer and try to initiate a contact. If she looks away, I can quickly move to a different lady.

If there is a line of ladies, I have to be more selective. I usually select a less experienced one who sits all time and almost cries.

19. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

That was quoted out of context, Chicho fosters young talents native to BsAs, because they cannot cope with US/EU pricing.

20. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

How much do you pay for a private lesson in Buenos Aires if you are:
    1) An American or European
    2) An Argentinian

You say that it's worth traveling there to study tango. Let's check the prices.