Ballroom Dance > What I Learned At My Last Comp

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, May 3, 2009.

1. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

It was nice meeting you!! The short hair looked good!!

2. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Thanks! Great to meet you, too!

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  3. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Immediate impressions:
    • Holy, those were the strongest fields that I have ever seen at Classique. Saturday night was one amazing set of dancers after another. Some of those finals (and semis) were world class, and I couldn't decide who to watch.
    • Really good mental approach for me, even with a 10 hour break between events. Nerves were the most under control that they have ever been, and my scholarship performance was more relaxed than any other time where I have danced it at night. Although I may have taken the 'relax and just dance' a little too far when I forgot the new change to my waltz - danced the old step and caused a bit of a bobble :eggface:
    • My fellow dancers really trust me. I drove a carload of them home yesterday, and even when we ran in to the snowstorm we were trying to beat, the mood in the car was pretty relaxed (if a little quieter than normal so that I could concentrate). This has led to our new rule of: let the girl who grew up in northern Ontario (500 or so km north of Toronto) drive to the winter competitions.
    • I apparently buy enough shoes a year that the vendors know me by name, and what size I take... and what type of heel protectors I like :oops:
    • Pro can be super hard on me. All day, I watched him say good job to his other students, and they got hugs after championships or awards... I got radio silence, all day, except for a few corrections in between morning and evening events. I have no idea if he is pleased or pissed about my dancing and our placement. This, coupled with having been awake for almost 24 hours and some not-insignificant PMS may have led to a hotel room meltdown at 2am... for which I apologized to my roommate the following morning. I am going to need to address the need for some positive feedback with him when we post-mortem from this comp. (Aka: stop treating FF like a pro, because she isn't one.)
    • I braved-up and watched my video... I hated it the first 2 times through, but now I'm finding it not all that bad.
    I need sleep before I reflect more deeply.

4. Mr 4 styles

You need more competition in your heats!!! come to the US. We got peeps!!!

Glad u managed the stress and HUGE break between singles and scholarship!!

FancyFeet likes this.
  5. Mr 4 styles

Oh and open gold students always get treated like pros. Trust me. I'll get mine Wednesday at cal open

3wishes likes this.
  6. FancyFeet

No kidding.

(Pro is trying to talk me into coming to Michigan next month... he's all like "Semis!! In A!!!", and I'm more "It's a 10 hour drive. Am I good enough to make that worth it?")

7. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Why not fly?

8. FancyFeet

9. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

If there are really semis in A, I would think it may be well worth it for you, based on what you share here. But obviously do some double-checking to see if semis in your age group actually happened last year. (Would be nice to be able to securely predict that there will be a big heat again in your age and level, but I don't know how to ensure that. You or your pro may be able to get more info on past years depending on who you know, I suppose.)

10. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

It's obviously at the cost of a having a different rewards program, but I admit that I got an airline rewards credit card last year specifically so I could justify flying to comps more often. It was kind of nice being able to go "hmm, I need a late spring/early summer comp, I guess Atlanta's probably my best option ... oh wait. I'm sitting on a bunch of miles. I ... I could do Emerald if I wanted."

11. FancyFeet

Pro and I are going to meet at Starbucks instead of the studio on Wed to have coffee and do video. I told him I really need some feedback on how this one went, and all I got was "I need to see the video to give constructive feedback." :rolleyes: That's all he said on the weekend too, when it became clear hours after we were all done that he wasn't going to say anything and I finally asked what he thought.

Dude, read between the lines. All I really want to hear at the moment is something like "You did a good job and I'm proud of you." Specific technical stuff can come later.

3wishes and Purr like this.
  12. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

FF I know what you mean about just wanting to hear your teacher is proud of you. Saturday after we drove home from our first comp together, my partner and I drove straight to the studio to show our teacher our ribbons. First he said "Im so proud of you both." Then he asked "How did you place?" In that order.

What I learned: 1. New partner dances better in comp than practice, with fewer mistakes (that I'm aware of; have not yet seen video.) 2. Make-up takes longer to put on for-real at a comp than practicing at home. 3. Assume you made recall because by the time you run over to the screen to check they've already started the next song. Just stay on the floor. 4. Verify with the registrar ahead of time that they did receive your check so you do not hold up the check-in line. 5. Wear hair as high in practice rounds as at comp so partner does not nearly lop off your bun in the spin-out. Or learn proper Standard spin-out without under-arm turn. 6. Going to a comp with a big team is fun. We had 4 to 5 other couples alongside us in the line-up in quarter finals from our team. Not sure it was a good thing for us all to be in the same heat but I think they recall overall, not recall within heats. But it did make it difficult for video with only 2 cameras an 5 couples. 7. Bring extra everything because the one item I forget my teammates will have extra and vice versa. 8. Figure out how to make that pocket corner thing stick up and not fall down. 9. A big bobby pin can substitute as a tie clip; buy partner a tie clip for his birthday. 10. Warm-up time is more precious than fix-bad-make-up-job time. 11. Do not allow close-up photos.

But most of all, my partner learned comps are fun. It was my 2nd comp, his first, and we did not know if he would like it. He liked it. :)

Sania, bia, FancyFeet and 3 others like this.
  13. rels77

rels77 Active Member

Michigan is a small-midsize comp that does ages differently- so A is actually up to 45, B is 46-60ish, and then there's sometimes a senior. It makes for bigger heats.

Michigan, , volunteer and Galaxy all
    Do that

danceronice likes this.
  14. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

Good to know, thank you! I hadn't heard of any comps that did that. Nice to know of somewhere to try when looking/hoping for bigger heats.

15. Mr 4 styles

FF the only way to find out of you are good enough is to go!!!! Its okay so long as you move up year after year.. You can't dance in a vacuum....literally and figuratively

raindance likes this.
  16. FancyFeet

Huh. I just checked the forms, and it's:
    Open Int’l Standard (W,T,VW,F,Q) A (18+) B (36+) C (51+)
    or World Pro-Am Int’l Standard (W,T,V,F,Q) [ ] A (18+) [ ] B (36+) [ ] C (51+)

So that's normal. But their "global" scholarships - 9 dance, either traditional or standard/smooth have different age groups. And there is no open gold multi... but there are 2 different scholarships, and only 5-singles requirement (I think).

No decisions will be made until after I talk to pro on Wed for the Classique post-mortem.

17. Mr 4 styles

EMBASSY

EMERALD

USDC

you will get plenty of competition oh if you do USDC this year Ill be there ( extra incentive!! LOL JK;))

18. FancyFeet

I know... but they all require airplanes.

If I decide to test the waters in the US this year, it will be a comp that I can drive to within a day - so something like Detroit, Philly or New York.

19. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Flights to major destinations like Orlando are actually less expensive than you think, even from Canada.

If you don't stay at the Swan at USDC, you can actually spend less than going to a competition in NYC... which start at 200 dollars a night... during the week. Couple that with parking at an additional 20 to 40 dollars a day, a 250 dollar flight to/from Orlando isn't really that terrible.

Loki and Mr 4 styles like this.
  20. Mr 4 styles

Let's all meet at usdc!!!!!!!! Come onFF!!!!

3wishes and MaggieMoves like this.