Ballroom Dance > What I Learned At My Last Comp

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, May 3, 2009.

1. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Woot woot MM is in!!!

2. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

translation please????

3. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Mr. 4 Styles is happy that Maggie Moves is in on the plan for everybody to meet at USDC-- she liked his post about it, at least.

4. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

5. Mr 4 styles

One can only hope!!!

6. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

We're not going to Michigan. Lots of reasons that I'm still working through, not the least of which is a total approach reset that will need some time to gel - and 6 weeks isn't enough.

I do feel like our chat on Wed may have been the start of something that is really going to help - and may have been the first honest heart-to-heart we've had in well over a year... pro was honest about some of the things going on in his head, and his expectations, and where some of the reactions I've been seeing have been coming from. He kept saying that he learned a lot at this comp - and seems to finally get that I need something really different than most, and is open to working on that with me.

I've spent the last few days thinking and journaling. There will be a conversation part 2, and some more strategizing/changing of approach... (and I'll share once I wrap my head around everything that is going on in there) - but I'm hopeful that things are about to significantly improve and become what I need, instead of me having to figure out how to do it his way. It's been a long time since I felt hopeful.

Sania, Purr and Dancing Irishman like this.
  7. Mr 4 styles

That you can dance better than you ever have and still not get the placements......and not care at all.. It doesnt hurt that a highly regarded judge who wasn't on that panel told me she had me second in both multis ( too bad it didn't count lol)

My pro was soo pleased and the Mrs thought the material looked great so winner!!

j_alexandra and RiseNFall like this.
  8. RiseNFall

Yes. My placements were nonexistent at my last comp (Nashville Starz), and the next one is in three weeks. I was chatting with Pro about the "dance better than I did at my last comp" standard and he looks a little alarmed and suggested I judge the next comp by, oh, two comps ago and not Nashville Starz--despite not placing.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  9. Joe janolo

Joe janolo New Member

Feb 5, 2017, in studio team match, my second comp

Bronze

I came in so confident and ready, pro-am
    My pro teacher is a really really wonderful woman

I came in so confident and ready,
    But suddenly Worries Outside of the ballroom kicked in which caused me to get rattled
    Life outside the ballroom is a fight
    I fight so that I can dance with an angel

I'm known for a really really good frame , and it collapsed
    I got dizzy in the Viennese
    I lost my footing in foxtrot
    My mambo turned into salsa
    I was so ready with my footwork, and I wasn't able to do it right
    I got nervous!!! Again!!!
    And I felt like crying

I've been dancing competitively since June 21, 2016, which makes it 8 months now

And I vow to become blackpool material

I dunno with anyone else, but a competition is still a competition which means you're out there to win

And that's what me and my teacher will do

And my really wonderful teacher not only turned me into a Fred Astaire (she's my Ginger Rogers),
    She turned me into an even better person
    Prouder than ever, and more picked up than ever

So pick yourself up
    Dust yourself off

advertisements deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2017
    j_alexandra and cornutt like this.
  10. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

FWIW, I've seen a LOT of salsa in mambo heats...

11. Joe janolo

Joe janolo New Member

Yea well, I don't think that's a good thing

advertisements deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2017
  12. FancyFeet

So, conversation part 2 happened... some good conclusions:

1. We're taking some of the pressure off. Pro is going to stop talking about me winning, and is going to stop warning me to be careful at the gym/ballet/etc. Basically, it's ok for me to have some fun again... and we're going back to the dance goal of "show what you can do/dance like you can" for competitions, because that works for me. And, well, if I do that, the results will take care of themselves.
    2. We're still not going to Michigan, but I'm also not doing the local competition pro has suggested as an alternative. We're looking at a different travel-required comp as a possibility, are going to explore some performance opportunities, are going to video more frequently at practice, and pro is cool if I occasionally take class or practice at other studios. We want to work on me starting to believe that I am maybe a good dancer (pro says "No maybe. You are.) and on things that take me out of my comfort zone a little bit - and then on showing that I am good even when I am uncomfortable.
    3. We're changing the way we warm up at comp, to something that I think will help immensely. (Pro is skeptical - probably because it's not how he likes to warm-up - but is willing to try it with me.)
    4) New more complex routines. I got a new tango last night, will get a new QS today, and a new waltz next week. Pro has finally figured out that I actually do better with choreo that most would consider more complicated, because it keeps my brain busy. He doesn't understand it, but agrees that it seems to help me for some reason.

We also had a general chat about how we both went into this past comp with sky-high expectations, and how that was maybe a mistake. Because it was good, and was an improvement over my previous one in a lot of ways... but because it didn't live up to our expectations, we were both disappointed. So we talked about what was good, and the positives that we can take from it as well as what didn't work and what we learned. And pro said some nice things... out loud... to me. (This doesn't usually happen.)

I'm still in a little bit of a funk, but am feeling way more ok with things than I was.

13. FancyFeet

Oh, also: Pro wants me to spend some time doing exercises designed to improve my foot speed. Because, apparently: "We are a tall couple. People always say that tall dancers have nice lines, but are slow. I want to f#@king blow them away. Because I think we can."

:rolleyes:

14. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

All of this sounds excellent!! Hope you enjoy the changes to your dance journey :)

15. FancyFeet

^ I still want to curl up on my couch, hug my cat, watch crap tv and eat potato chips, but that will pass.

(I have really healthy and adult coping methods to deal with disappointment.)

16. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Hey now, it's all right to do that at least for a little while. :)

FancyFeet and raindance like this.
  17. Mr 4 styles

Study latin. It will make your foot speed quicker. Oh that and lots of plyo jump squats jump split lunges etc. My recent comp video shows me blowing by all the other couples. Not even close. Oh and one judge in each scholarship who are each former smooth champs had me first in all dances!!

Train to win and you may...

Sania likes this.
  18. RiseNFall

I first read that as study the latin language...then got to "it will make your feet faster" and momentarily, while confused, expected some sort of brain-training language-feet connection explanation to come next.

j_alexandra and Mr 4 styles like this.
  19. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

It explains dlliba10, amirite? :D

RiseNFall likes this.
  20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

what I learned....that I can still do respectably in open in the 2 styles in which I currently dance...and that was a pleasant surprise

IndyLady, j_alexandra, Purr and 4 others like this.