Ballroom Dance > What I Learned At My Last Comp

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, May 3, 2009.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

We've all had comps like that. Eight months isn't very long in the competitive world. Cut yourself a bit of slack. Then decide that for the next comp, you will concentrate on one or two specific things, and for the rest, whatever happens happens. One thing at a time.

2. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Is there a post about us all meeting at USDC? Count me in!

3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

ok thats two...or more

4. fineshrine

fineshrine New Member

That you can get through it and qualify for finals even when you're horribly horribly ill and can't eat. Mind over matter! :D

5. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

oh hey The USV - United States Veterans - Submarines reunion is in Orlando at the exact same time, and we will be attending, maybe i can sneak over to USDC while DH spins his adventures with the WW2 Vets and others. At least to cheer and say hi.

j_alexandra and Mr 4 styles like this.
  6. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I'm less interesting, but I am still planning on USDC this year. I turn 40 that week, so it seems a good year to splurge on it. :)

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

this year may not work for me due to the new job and just having gone on a long pre-planned vacation...ohio may end up being easier

j_alexandra likes this.
  8. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Most important lesson is that if I drive home after a competition with all of my makeup on, it's very important to bring in the bag that contains the makeup remover. (Coconut oil did a reasonable job--it was cold and I was not going back out if I could help it.)

I learned that I need a new presentation goal before my next comp. I am anything but a natural performer--my gut instinct is to be horrified that people are watching me, but I have improved incredibly. Only people who knew me when I first started competing have any idea how far I have come. Since I now regularly give new competitors "no reason to worry" pep talks, I cannot very well go out and look stressed. ;) The feedback from the last two or three FADS events is that I looked very comfortable on the floor and that I look like I am enjoying myself...and that was my goal. No abject terror. I am not quite as comfortable as I appear, but close.

j_alexandra, 3wishes and cornutt like this.
  9. cornutt

I had coaches tell me that I needed to make an effort to make eye contact with the audience. After competing for a while, I found that on the floor, I got so locked in with my partner that I tended to forget the audience was there. o_O

Purr and Loki like this.
  10. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

Had a good comp this past weekend! Was so pleased that the new routines went well, and that I felt mentally relaxed and prepared. Also learned to always get my video order in earlier - i had forgotten to get it in first thing in the morning, and i didn't get my smooth multi on video, boo. I saw a lot of improvement in rhythm, but my arms have regressed a bit, gotten a bit sloppy. I had other things that i was focusing on, and apparently let them go a bit. new goal is to improve those without losing the improvement in being more relaxed when i dance, how i use my feet and where my gaze is focused. Only able to do rhythm at wisconsin state this year, due to an unexpected tax bill sucking up my money. So - i have a good goal for that comp!

11. RiseNFall

I got through my first couple of years of competing by creating a bubble around Pro and myself--that was my world. First comp where I let that dissolve wasn't so good ("What? There are people out there watching me?!?"), but there has been a steady improvement since then. Pro gets credit for not getting impatient with me; he thought he was signing up to teach people to dance, not to be there with them while they worked through a multitude of issues. ;)

12. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I'm generally ok ... except when I notice very specific people. For example, after my first comp where I had him as a judge, my pro noted that she had been able to tell the exact point where I had my "oh, crap, David Hamilton is watching me" moment. :D

13. cornutt

My second comp was Vol State. Mendy made it a point to tell me this, as we walked out onto the floor for our first heat: "David is really a stickler for footwork!" Guess what I totally flubbed the first time I noticed him looking at me. :pain:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    RiseNFall likes this.
  14. RiseNFall

I don't wear my glasses when I compete, and do not have contacts, so I generally don't know who's looking at me unless we are close.:) I did, unfortunately, see the person who blew me a kiss during my first competition (nobody I knew). There went the rest of that heat. :rolleyes: Last time I made eye contact with an audience member....

Sania and SwingingAlong like this.
  15. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Learned that we can be simultaneously disappointed in the judges marks and super proud of our dancing. And that "10-minute toughness" works very well for me on comp day - hat tip to everyone who talked about it on the forum!

16. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

It's amazing, that 10-MT book! Changed the way I practice, perform, and compete!

Dancing Irishman likes this.
  17. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Apparently, Viennese is my best dance. And I mean, all firsts, from all judges, iirc. The rest of my scores were all over the place.

It's the one we do least. Teach even threw in a couple of fleckerls here and there, and we've practiced them maybe two? three? times.

Wotthe?

Sania, Purr, cornutt and 3 others like this.
  18. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Paradoxical but I've found I tend to do better when I don't give a rip b/c I'm not really expecting to do well in a dance/level/style.

Possibly the lack of tenseness or something.

19. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Fa sho! I think you were part of the chorus of voices that got me to check it out, so thanks!!!!

scullystwin42 likes this.
  20. blackswan

blackswan Member

At my next to last comp, I learned that putting too much pressure on myself truly is counter-productive. And that having to watch a final sucks 8-}

At the most recent comp, I learned that my dancing is best when I've already achieved my goal (made final) or am not expecting great results.

In my next comp, I hope to learn to dance every round like one or the other of the above.

cornutt likes this.