Swing Discussion Boards > What is 'Club Swing'?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Swing Learner, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Swing Learner

Swing Learner Member

I have another dumb, rookie question: what is 'club swing'?

Thanks for any edification.

2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Club Swing = Four Count Hustle according to an Arthur Murray studio in Texas.
    Other than that, I know nothing.
    Except that I can't find either of those in Skippy Blair's books. or the Disco book I have.

Swing Learner likes this.
  3. Swing Learner

Swing Learner Member

Thanks, Steve!

4. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Honestly this explains a bit - I've seen people dancing "country swing" which really just looks like a hustle to me in country dance clubs.

Sorry @Swing Learner but I've never actually heard of "club swing" before.

5. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've seen this too but it often looks alot rougher than hustle. Often looks like there is alot of yanking going on.

6. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

In "dance", there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers .

7. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

At my studio, they use that term to differentiate the ecs/lindy hop done in the actual swing scene vs what is done in the ballroom lexicon.

8. Swing Learner

Swing Learner Member

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks, twnkltoz!

twnkltoz likes this.
  9. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

My own Arthur Murray story is the "Why Dance?".

One night out dancing after a dance event, our WCS teacher who used to teach for Arthur Murray taught it to us. It's a slow dance that was a really big seller at the AM studios; I think it was about $300 per lesson (and guys were more than eager to pay that amount). Leader: slow to the left, slow to the right, quick-quick back and replace.

I think the name came from "why dance when all you want to do is get her in the sack?" One local short-lived dance event featured "belt-buckle polishing".

There's another story I heard which blames Arthur Murray for East Coast Swing. It goes that the studios would have hot-shot dancers dancing at the clubs and hand out business cards of the dance studios who would then teach really dumbed-down versions of the dance. East Coast Swing is supposed to be a dumbed-down version of Lindy.

An alternative story is that it's American Bandstand's fault. Because of the dance environment (electrical cables all over the place) the dancers couldn't show their stuff and so teenagers all over the country saw and duplicated a very simplified form of the dance.

That's what I love about dance history! So many different stories, possibly none of which are true.

10. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

As in those above...