General Dance Discussion > What is the most picturesque place you've ever danced at?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Mia, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Mia

Mia Member

A few years ago, the Schweizerisches Landesmuseum had a celebrity ball in a hall with suits of armour and an exquisite backdrop of artifacts and I felt like I was dancing in a castle like a princess.

What are some of the most memorable picturesque places you have danced at?

j_alexandra and DanceMentor like this.
  2. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Great idea for a thread! I'm pretty sure my experiences are limited compared to many here, but the Grove Park Inn and the Fairmont hotel in San Francisco were really nice experiences for me early in my dance career.

3. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I posted about this once before ...

DH and I danced a tango, making tracks on a sandy beach ... on the Colorado River at the bottom of the Grand Canyon ... to a live string quartet. "Picturesque" doesn't do justice to the background scenery! (The quartet participated in the entire two-week rafting trip and gave concerts at various sites with good acoustics along the way.)

bia, j_alexandra and cornutt like this.
  4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

A few things come to mind:

1. A nice private club on Red Mountain in Birmingham (Alabama), that had a circular dance floor and windows overlooking the city. I think it's closed now, alas.

2. An impromptu rumba with DW in the bar of a cruise ship on the Rhine.

3. An outdoor dance at a local state park.

5. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

"peak experience"

6. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

a local ice cream shop, the kind with a counter and stools

7. ralf

ralf Active Member

j_alexandra likes this.
  8. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

In the computer room of a company, after hours. One of my partner had bought an instructionnal DVD and wanted to try the various sequences.
    The best moment was when the cleaning lady entered and saw the two of us

Mia and RiseNFall like this.
  9. Mia

Mia Member

I would have loved to have seen the look on the cleaning lady's face! :)

10. Xelebes

Xelebes New Member

At the Freemason's Hall in Edmonton, I guess. A charivari-styled rave, with tables and space to partner dance if the opportunity present.

A dancespace that I want to dance in is Hangar 11. A hangar built by the US and Canadian air forces during World War II that has museum pieces there. Unfortunately I have only ever seen it be used for Ookfest which is a large frosh party for the students at NAIT and therefore the music is indie rock. Not a fan of indie rock at all. The dancefloor can hold something like 10,000 to 15,000. But it definitely needs to be refurbished while the old airport around it gets redeveloped.

11. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

An Argentine Tango at sunset in San Marco Piazza in Venice was probably my most notable one. If you've ever been to Venice, there's a famous coffee shop right in the middle of San Marco Piazza that has musicians playing non-stop Argentine Tango music. It was incredibly humid, and I was sweaty after a long day in early August... but I was with a boyfriend at the time that knew how to dance and we just went with it for about a half hour. I've never been great at the dance, but he was. A half hour went by and I looked up, almost snapping out of a trance... we had about a dozen people just watching us. It felt like that entire moment made that entire trip worthwhile.

I also danced a Viennese Waltz at the Rathaus in Vienna. That was a close second. It was for a society ball, and a white tie affair. They had about 50 couples performing the dance at the same time. I felt like Cinderella.

Being from the NYC area, I've also danced at the Copacabana... and I'm not a huge fan of it either. The Mayan in Los Angeles is interesting too for Latin nightclub dancing... but it really depends on the night.

cornutt likes this.
  12. Janson

Janson Active Member

Some varied places in this thread!

Not the most unique, but it doesn't get much more authentically ballroom than Blackpool Winter Gardens for me.
    For the more picturesque, dancing salsa on a beach front bar in Spain or Greece was pretty good.

j_alexandra and MaggieMoves like this.
  13. Mia

Mia Member

I hear you Janson! Dancing salsa at some of the Greek Islands on the Aegen Sea, overlooking hills, a vast ocean, a beautiful sunset can be very dreamy indeed!