What proportion of songs do you dance at a social?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Terpsichorean Clod, Dec 13, 2009.

?

About how many out of every 10 songs do you dance at a social?

1. 1-2

4 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. 3-4

12 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. 5-6

20 vote(s)
    29.4%
  4. 7-8

18 vote(s)
    26.5%
  5. 9-10

14 vote(s)
    20.6%
  1. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

(inspired by another thread)
    A typical ballroom social will play music for as many as 15 different dances. How many do you dance? For my first year, I knew only smooth dances and would end up dancing about 25% of the time. On some nights, the majority of my dancing actually happened during the waltz and foxtrot mixers. Now I'm on the floor 60-70% of the time.
    chomsky likes this.
  2. Nybz

Nybz New Member

Hmm I said 3-4, I tend to sit out dances I know when I shouldn't :doh:
    Sometimes I really just enjoy watching others more than actually dancing.
  3. I am there to DANCE so I DANCE !!! LOL ...
    chomsky likes this.
  4. bclure

bclure Member

7-8... But

I dance to most, but it depends a little on the venue. When I DJ, I dance to every song. Each venue seems to have it's own personality. Some play lots of tango's, others, none.
  5. I forgot to mention I dance 9 out 10 10 YIPEEE !
    chomsky likes this.
  6. Mengu

Mengu Active Member

I voted 5-6. I dance most standard dances, and sit out most latin dances. We'll do the occasional rumba, chacha, or swing, and the very occasional mambo/salsa. Avoid samba like the plague, as well as the super slow merengues unless someone actually plays a dominican republic speed merengue. If a waltz sounds country or they play a quickstep and everyone is dancing single step swing all over the floor, I'll sit those out too. I also enjoy watching other people dance, so I don't mind sitting out dances, especially at events where the dance floor is very crowded. If someone comes up to me and asks if I would like to dance with them, I dance, no excuses.
  7. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

5-6, generally. Depends on the crowd.
  8. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

My original dance goal was to be able to go to a dance and not have to sit out a single song. I achieved that goal after about three years. The problem is that shortly after my technique got to the point where I was dancing bigger and stronger and didn't have the energy to dance every song the night through. When I'm out with my Wynd, my wonderful girlfriend who dances back just as much energy as I give her, I'm lucky if I can do every other song.
    chomsky likes this.
  9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

probly about 95% (or more) at a WCS/hustle event, but closer to 7-8 at the average ballroom social (tho i sure love those 9-10 BR nites). so i voted 7-8.
  10. Well I alternate between dancing big and dancing with beginners, I am still very tired at the end of the night.

Tired....but happy :)
  11. DL

DL Well-Known Member

What's the temperature at the social?
    Loki likes this.
  12. Nate F.

Nate F. New Member

I try to dance as many songs as possible except the samba. Some of the guys at our socials don't dance much which really annoys the girls so I dance with them as much as possible!!
  13. I'm elated at the fact that the reason we sit out half of the songs is because we're dancing better. Before, the reason I caused us to sit out half or more of the songs is because of my lack of conditioning, my ankle injury, and my assorted general fussiness. The ankle has healed, my conditioning has improved (though still lots more room for improvement), and the fussiness you're stuck with, love. :)
  14. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I think I only dance 3-4 songs out of 10, on average. I might be able to get more, if I were more proactive about asking guys, but then again, I like the "social" part too, so I visit with my friends.
    chomsky likes this.
  15. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

I would dance all of them if I could, but often times I just don't get asked. Sometimes guys just sit.
  16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I will dance anything I am asked to dance...but most likely to be skipped are;

hustle...neither dh or I are particularly in love with it so if we aren't asked by others it will likely pass

wcs...we are both in incubacy with this dance and only dance it with one another so if I am alone I generally hide or use the bathroom or refill my drink on that one

salsa..dh doesn't like to salsa...if someone is around and asks i will

we tend to sit out merengues and bachatas...these, imo, should only be done with really hot latin men

tango...I love it ...dh hates it...so sometimes I am forced to sit it out

vw and qs...only with people who will not hurt me
  17. Riplash

Riplash Member

So much of this answer depends on the venue. Sometimes I dance almost all of the dances, other times I only dance the dances I know real well.

-riplash
  18. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

As I've been concentrating on my standard dances, my social dance skills are sadly lacking. So, I tend to avoid swing, salsa, hustle, and most rhythm dances.....unless I'm very comfortable with the lead.
  19. Nybz

Nybz New Member

Well just got back from a social and am proud to say I went from the 3-4 I said earlier to more like 8/9 :D although it was a latin night... soo it was mostly salsa lol
    chomsky likes this.
  20. piimapoika

piimapoika Member

Last Sunday there was an Argentine Tango tea dance from 3 - 8 pm. I would like to say I danced every dance, but I had to admit defeat 20 minutes before the end. At 62 I'm not so young as I was!
    chomsky likes this.