Salsa > Videos > What style of dance is it?

Discussion in 'Videos' started by claws, Sep 21, 2008.

1. claws

claws New Member

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

You are correct claws, these are all (competitive) Ballroom style cha cha.

3. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

claws, how long do you dance??

4. claws

claws New Member

me? I'm pretty new!! I'm dancing from two months :)
    I started with salsa. but I want to learn, as many styles as possible, with perfection in all.
    I don't know, if it may fee too much to you guys, but surely I'll dance like those dancers on SYTYCD and I'll also take part in SYTYCD. :) Thats my aim.
    after completion of my studies, I just want to spend my entire 2-3 years in dancing.

these are the styles I want to learn, (in order)
    Contemporary (till advanced), Ballet (till intermediate),Hip-Hop(till intermediate), Cha-Cha (till intermediate), Salsa (till advanced), Samba (intermediate).

suggestions and advices are most welcomed :)

Thanks a lot to Danceforums.com and salsaforums.com . They are of lot of help to me.

5. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

for me it is quite interesting that people whom never danced before start to dance salsa first. why to make it easy, when it can be hard. :cool:

when it comes to contemporary, ballet and hip-hop you'll not get many information in here.

my recommendation start with something easy.

6. azzey

azzey Member

Hey Claws,

Sounds like you want to be a professional dancer. Good luck to you! One bit of advice - invest in private lessons with really good instructors (that will cut the cost and time to develop by reducing the early mistakes most social dancers make when learning). Also, some of the dances you named (Contemporary, Ballet and Hip hop) are fundamentally different from each other in their approach, training methods and body training. You may find that training in one dance fights against the training in another and requires extra work to keep them seperate in your mind and body.

I've been dancing Salsa 7 years (Cuban and LA styles) and it's been a long hard road but very enjoyable on the way. I can see for me that there is a never ending degree of subtlety that I can learn.

With that number of dances to learn you will need to dedicate yourself full-time (no distractions) in a classical & modern dance school.

7. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I think salsa is the easiest of them all. Some people can't even count 1-2-3 properly with the music. Pray, what will happen if you give them 2-3-4-and-1 or the 3/4-1/4-1 of samba?