General Dance Discussion > What would you say to yourself as a beginner?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Groove On, Oct 31, 2014.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

move with confidence because, even if you don't have it, it is impossible to make your body do something really impressive while you are holding it in a shy reserved posture...you have to let go of some things to be good...which is not the same as being out of control...

understand that it is a far greater failure to fail to give it your all than it is to give it your all and fall short of what you had hoped to accomplish

stash and IndyLady like this.
  2. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Not as a brand new beginner, but as an advanced beginner:

"Yes, you've improved since you started, but you are not nearly as good as you think you are. The beginner classes are not beneath you; they'll help you strengthen your dance foundation, so keep going to them even now that you can go to level 2 classes, too. And the beginner dancers aren't beneath you, either. Don't wait around for an experienced partner to magically show up -- scope out the newbies for a nice guy who shows potential, and grab him."

3. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

12 years of ballroom dancing, and I still show up to the beginner classes from time to time. It really does give you a solid foundation to base more movement off of.

That said, I'd tell my college self that you're not nearly as good as you think you are, and that some seemingly hopeless newbies can be the best guy you've ever danced with a year down the line.

Hedwaite and nikkitta like this.
  4. LDD

LDD Member

THIS. Couldn't be more well said. It's a shame there's not a lot of girls closer to my age and that most of them are taller than me and are attached :(:)

@ Fascination : What advice would you give to a beginner of a casual line dancing class who just stands there when he forgets his steps in the middle of the dance? Should he anyhow whack his hands around rather than just standing there like a stick? :D

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  5. fascination

I am assuming that question is rhetorical :)

6. LDD

LDD Member

LOL, it's not. I always tend to run into this issue every now and then.

7. fascination

well...I don't line dance much ....but I would say that, even if you don't know the steps, at least move in the same general direction as those who do, and/or apologize when you run into them or they run into you...or sit it out

8. DrDoug

DrDoug Active Member

"Some people claim that dancing is for sissies, but in fact, dancing is for Sisyphus."

j_alexandra likes this.
  9. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Even though the voices are saying "quickstep", American fox might be better for now.

Rhythmdancer and RiseNFall like this.
  10. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

I have a new one:

"There will come a day when you will sell out what you stand for just to not make waves."

11. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

But that's not limited to dancing.

fascination likes this.
  12. Rhythmdancer

Rhythmdancer Well-Known Member

I'd tell myself, just because your instructor stopped talking to you about posture and frame doesn't mean your posture and frame are perfect. Also to stretch frequently. Stretching fixed over 90% of all of my posture and frame related problems.

j_alexandra likes this.
  13. Sabriel

Sabriel New Member

Well I'm still really a beginner but wish I could go back and tell myself to start sooner.

j_alexandra and IndyLady like this.
  14. lushdance

lushdance New Member

Beginner Self - "There's only one teacher in this room right now" Its not me and its not the lead I have just rotated to as part of the lesson - Listen and watch the tutor............. If the person you are currently partnering is not listening and watching you'll know about it when you get into a tangle of arms and legs LOL

I would tell myself to remember that you dance through a series of interactions and movements as a couple, the lead nor the follow needs to commentate each and every move.

15. Dave English

Dave English New Member

I would rather find a best dance school for myself nearby.:)

16. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Don't be afraid to speak up when something is bothering you. And you may have to speak up more than once, and increasingly forcefully. I probably will need this reminder next week too.

Loki and FancyFeet like this.
  17. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Enjoy dancing with the partners and hanging out with the friends you have now. Because nothing is forever, and a year, or five years, or ten years from now, they may all be gone. :(

IndyLady likes this.
  18. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

So you're signing for this dance classes just because there is this girl who attends them? You're pathetic.

19. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

So the killer asteroid IS coming. D*mn.

cornutt likes this.
  20. Tango Distance

Tango Distance Active Member

• Do Contra first, then Blues, then Tango, and then Ballroom. (I did it in the reverse order.)
    • Read up on dance etiquette and how dance classes and formal dances work before the first class.
    • Read up on hugging and other touchy-feely issues before the first class.