Ballroom Dance > When you should quit dancing? - Poll

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Lai Lai, Nov 22, 2017.

?

When you should quit dancing?

This poll will close on May 18, 2018 at 9:10 PM.
  1. When you cannot answer how dancing benefits your life

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. When every lesson and competition results in all night long crying

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. When you become alcoholic

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  4. When high costs of psychiatrists visits are adding to the high costs of dancing

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. None of the above: the problem with head is not related to dancing

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. Quitting is not an option - once dancing sucks you in, you are stuck with it forever

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  7. When you have no doubt that you should quit

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  8. Take a break for a few months and see how it feels

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lai Lai

Lai Lai Member

Select your response.

2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

NEVER ...........

3. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I selected a number of the options, but ultimately I wouldn't say there's one "correct" response to any of these circumstances. What I do feel with certainty is that keeping things unchanged and just trying to stick it out is not the best option. Maybe quitting is the right move (and there's no shame in it!!), maybe a break, maybe intentional changes to the dance situation, maybe working to figure out whether the problems come from dance or elsewhere. Or (more likely) a number of these things in combination. This poll makes me very sad. I'm wishing you luck in figuring out your own best answer!

danceronice and Lai Lai like this.
  4. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that my quitting dancing is shortly before my remains are cremated.

Lai Lai, Mr 4 styles and tangotime like this.
  5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

I might quit competing but I’d bever quit dancing

6. Lai Lai

Lai Lai Member

I largely exaggerated, it is not that sad [yet]. I was hoping you would find a bit of humor in this poll, didn't mean to sound so sad.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  7. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

As Gene Kranz might have said if he was a ballroom dancer: "Quitting is not an option!" And he might have added: "Neither is jive!" :p

8. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

MaggieMoves and Mr 4 styles like this.
  9. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Phew! I'm glad to hear it!

10. ralf

ralf Active Member

11. ralf

ralf Active Member

FTFY. :)

Mr 4 styles and RiseNFall like this.
  12. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

Additionally; When the cost/expense is causing too much stress; When you are sick of the games at the studio and there are very few other options for lessons.

IndyLady likes this.
  13. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Dancing has to be kept in perspective. For most of us, dancing is a negative income activity, so we have to work so we can pay the rent, keep the lights on, and put food on the table. And we may have other personal responsibilities, such as children.

Just about anything can be overdone. Some things are overdone more quickly, such as alcohol. But dancing can be overdone as well. The answer is how you pace it, and how you balance it against other things in your life. When you spend more time and/or money on dancing than you really can afford, the answer is not to quit dancing entirely. Dial it back to something you can sustain for the long term.

IndyLady likes this.
  14. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

When it causes more negative stress than enjoyment.

(Comps stress me out, but I enjoy them, so I view that as a positive stressor.)

MaggieMoves, danceronice and IndyLady like this.
  15. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

And when you can't change something to reduce that negative stress. Sometimes it takes me a while to figure out how to do that when I'm unhappy with something in my dance life.

A long time ago when I was learning something else, I decided that when I was very frustrated about my progress, I would re-evaluate in 6 or so months. Every time, I had passed the roadblock six months later. I give myself the same kind of timeframe in dancing. Of course, there's always something new to be frustrated about by then. ;)