Tango Argentino > Where are the men to tango with at my beautiful 64 years of age? :)

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by 2dance with U, Jan 6, 2015.

1. 2dance with U

2dance with U New Member

Seriously, I have been taking lessons for about a year & love this dance.. but there is a serious lack of men for my age group. I am widowed & among high level dancers many ballerinas in my area. Most of them are in their early forties & I can't understand why they can't find men to dance with? And, if that isn't enough I'm with many married women who are dancing without their husbands because they are couch potatoes!! Please someone educate me!! LOL. I'm going to have to decide whether it is worth paying for private lessons or should I just take a dance cruise? LOL.

2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

First off, welcome.
    If you are serious about AT, why not go to Buenos Aires instead of a cruise?
    You don't mention practicas or milongas. Do you go to those?
    Have you tried AT "festivals"? There are a bunch of them, including a couple here in Portland.
    Are you more interested in finding a steady partner rather than mixing with the crowd?

3. 2dance with U

2dance with U New Member

Thank you for that great response:). Yes, I go to practicas & milongas & thankfully am invited to dance.:) I have traveled this year with a partner that I dance alot with & that helps me with my expenses. This is just here in a three state region but still.. milongas are often closed to followers early.. I just haven't figured out the right way to do it yet.. I am a caregiver for my twins who live with me so travel abroad takes planning.. I would someday love to dance in Buenos Aires. I think dancing with different people has helped me become a better dancer but I do prefer going to a milonga with someone instead of by myself.

4. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

If you've not cruised before and if you seriously consider a dance cruise, do your research before booking anything - not all dance cruises are created equal. Also, there is quite a difference in atmosphere between cruise lines (and in some cases, even among the ships of a cruise line). Cruisecritic dot com can be a good starting point.

5. 2dance with U

2dance with U New Member

Thanks for this:) Right now first.. I need to decide what to do about these lessons.. they are very pricey if I don't have a partner.. I wonder if Steve is out there in Portland with Alex Krebs? I think that is where he is based out of... I wonder how women my age deal with this situation? My original thought was to become the best little tango dancer I could be but I need the practice..

6. Steve Pastor

So does that mean you are around Portland? If you are, I can meet you for a tanda or two at the Sunday practica at Viscount. That's been going as long as I've been doing AT here.

7. 2dance with U

2dance with U New Member

Oh Steve!! Did you ever make my day!! Unfortunately, I'm in south Carolina:( But have Alex Krebs apps downloaded.. I think he is great.. from what I see. But!! Very excited to have just gotten into a class with Chico & Juana in Atlanta next week.. Do you happen to be on facebook? I have an excellent video on my page..

8. 2dance with U

2dance with U New Member

So!! Steve.. you need to come to south Carolina!! :)

9. Steve Pastor

Ha!

Yeah, Alex is pretty much the man in Portland in many ways. And, he moved right into that new way of getting his lessons out there. I might take his milonga class again this year if there is one, mostly because there is lots of dancing milonga to be had there!
    (Actually, I might take a Balboa class on Thursday.)

Here's me. https://www.facebook.com/steve.pastor.9

Strangely, there are no dance pix yet. No, wait. There I am with Erin this last summer. But then, I like the adventure pix, and had someone request more.

10. tangomaniac

tangomaniac Active Member

Consider going to tango festivals. They attract dancers of different ages.

Otherwise, come to New York. I don't know where you live in S. Carolina but hopefully there's an airport or Amtrak station near you. (I'll never suggest Greyhound. The longest trip for me on Greyhound was 4:30 between Washington, DC and New York. I couldn't wait to get off. I moved to New York after I retired so I don't have to deal with the bus anymore.)

Where to tango in New York? www.newyorktango.com

BTW, I'm your age.

11. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

They're dancing with the angels.

12. jantango

jantango Active Member

No, not exactly. Buenos Aires has a good supply of excellent male dancers in their 70s and 80s who are ready, willing, and able to dance with foreign women. I know women who dance for hours -- that's why they return every year, spend money to travel and rent an apartment in Buenos Aires just to be held by a milonguero.

13. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Where I live the majority of younger men have no problem dancing with older women.

ocean-daughter likes this.
  14. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Coming to this thread a little late... isn't there a group in Columbia? I thought Orlando Farias moved there for awhile and taught at Vista Ballroom?

There's also a group in Charleston isn't there? CATS?

I lived in Charleston for awhile, but that was long before the tango craze took hold of me (or anyone else there)

15. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

I took Amtrak from NYC to SC a few times. It is a LONG trip. Not fun.

16. tangomaniac

tangomaniac Active Member

I took a tango cruise from Miami in February 2013. Concerned bad weather would ground my flight, I took Amtrak ALL the way - - in coach- - from New York to Miami. I won't do that again. (I flew home to New York.)

I went to Portland, OR Tango Fest last year. I flew out and took Amtrak all the way back to New York. But this time, I took a sleeper -- and that made all the difference in the world. I wish I had done that on the trip to Miami.

Tango dancers should take long Amtrak trips. They teach P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E, which is needed on the dance floor. Some people dance milonga like it's a horse race.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  17. mjnemeth

mjnemeth Member

Where in SC ? I live on hilton head island. I know that the Spoleto Festival
    in Charleston has tango events. It starts May 21 runs 18 days. I can't get in to my yahoo mail now but there are tango groups there where I get info on
    AT in the area. You may email here if you don't want to give your exact location here.

18. Steve Pastor

Did I miss your report on it?
    more women than men? etc?

19. LivingstonSeagull

LivingstonSeagull New Member

It seems in Southern California the average age is over 60 - for both men and women. It is actually interesting - the age distribution across the globe. I went to China and my impression was - dancers are on average younger than 30. Same in Russia. It may be related to the fact that these countries were closed for foreign influence until recently, so tango came to them not that long ago.
    In Europe - France and Austria where I went dancing - the age seems well mixed, younger as well as older people. In US it seems to me the age is skewed towards after 40, at least in several places I visited. Haven't been to New York yet. :) What are the observations for other? What age distribution did you see in your travels?

ocean-daughter likes this.
  20. e4evertango

e4evertango New Member

I have to laugh at your question as it is our issue here in GA too! Where are the men in the south.....well, we kind of guessed that they are out hunting, shooting and fishing as it doesn't seem to be the tradition here that they dance AT. However, we have a few who do which is lovely. I am a five year student of the dance and have a husband who doesn't dance and so I go to lessons and workshops and milongas with a woman friend who has also been dancing this length of time. It is quite barren out there for us as regards getting a good dance but our own teacher invariably does get us dancing. However, I caution about these cruise dances and would say do your homework and find out if you will find more suitable dance partners on one. Experience of others I have noted has been that many women go and again there are few men but some of the women actually hire a dance partner but again these men share their time amongst other women who have also hired them to dance with. Just want you to be aware of what can happen.