Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Well, a few minutes after I posted this one coworker drops off a small gift to wrap for the supervisor. And another coworker says they will bring in something tomorrow. At least something's turning out.

2. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Thing is: you might not know where/what people have spent their charity dollars on.

At a previous employer, office gifting got to the point where it was costing more than friends and family. That ended my participate in everything at work days, but I do still decorate, etc.

Time to bring in the Yule Log.

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

here's my thing, not everyone likes to feel roped into something that doesn't exactly feel optional...when people impose group events on me, I tend to recoil....and it has nothing to do with my holiday spirit....it has to do with my wanting to express my sentiments of the holiday as I see fit....maybe just do what you want regardless of what others chose and accept that most won't participate?

Dancing Irishman, stash and raindance like this.
  4. fascination

I guess what I am saying is that it seems like you are taking these actions of others, much like the break room etiquette, as a personal disrespect of you....and, while it may all feel inconsiderate to you, I am not certain that it is intended that way and I see it causing you more pain and frustration than maybe is intended....I really doubt that you can teach these folks a lesson by not doing what you have always done....if it was a big deal to them, they would have shown it by now...you can only control what you choose to do so you might as well do what works for you because I doubt that by anything you do, anyone else's behavior is going to change...sooner or later, if people miss something, they will do something about it...if not, might as well do what works for you

stash, FancyFeet and Loki like this.
  5. fascination

let me give an example from my office...secret santa: the rule was that you could only spend 3 dollars a day for 3 days then bring a last bigger gift to the office party on thurs(the 4th day)....well....I don't work every day and they wanted the gifts delivered one a day each day....I didn't want to be constrained by that price because it is hard to find stuff at that price especially for strangers...and I am off on the day off the office party which is being held a long way from my home and offering 3 entrees that gag me me...it is also sub zero weather and my husband can't go...shrug...I am as holly and jolly as anyone but that isn't going to work for me....it isn't a giant eff you to the people who planned it....it just doesn't work for me

j_alexandra, stash and Loki like this.
  6. fascination

a second example....our owner is Jewish...our office manager wants to give him a gift at the holiday party...and asked for a donation from each of us....1) awesome as our owner is, half of our staff is dancing on the edge of poverty and really shouldn't even be asked to open their wallets for such a thing....I am not even sure our owner would want that...in fact I strongly suspect that he would not ...2) he is a person of significant means with fairly cultured taste whose wife has decorated most of our offices...and yet, the expressed intent of the person going out to buy him something is to pick up something extra special at a specifically Jewish gift store like a specifically Jewish knick knack...I don't want to hurt this lady's feelings but I don't really think that is the best plan for how to honor him....because there is nothing there that we could purchase that he wouldn't already have if he wanted it and he likely wouldn't want it...I would see a contribution to a charity of his choice or tickets to some show as a far wiser choice....shrug...I was polite and gave a bit....but I have more expendable income than most...and I just see him opening some tacky little thingey (but oh hey, lookey, it's Jewish) and having to again show how gracious he truly is....so, while I do appreciate the spirit of this well intended lady...it isn't where I want to go with my extra dollars this pay day

7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

A coworker told me pretty much the same thing. I left my Secret Santa gift and the supervisor's gift with a coworker to take to the party tomorrow while I am on leave. Moving forward for future holidays, I am taking your suggestion and only doing what works for me.

Oh, and I found a Kcup left in the Keurig overnight this morning. And the water needed refilled. I wanted to make hot cocoa otherwise I would have left it the way I found it. :(

fascination likes this.
  8. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I have a cold... :( Bleh. I just wanna go home and sleep.

9. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I feel you. I've been sick all week as well. And was asked earlier this week if there were any way I could possibly work extra hours between now and New Years.

10. stash

stash Well-Known Member

That's awful. I hope you said no. I'm just glad starting at 4pm today I have 2 weeks off.

11. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

To the chiropractor I returned as left upper rib cage hurts like the dickens and can't really use left arm for anything, sucky end results from mints like coughing illness. Hate this. Dislike being this laid up. Or limited.
    He said "these are spasms" appt finished with "it will take time, I'll be seeing you again" sigh. More than likely. Sigh, but, hey at least the cough stopped.

12. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Whining...I am having a seriously bad hair day. One piece of hair insists on sticking straight up. I've put hair wax on it twice. And I've wet it. It still sticks straight up. I don't have any hairspray handy to plaster it down, and I'm dubious it would work well anyway. Some days my hair has a mind of its own.

SwingingAlong likes this.
  13. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

Time to put a cute bow on it? :joyful: :p

Sania, RiseNFall and Purr like this.
  14. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Nah, just decided to ignore it for the time being. Maybe it will go away. :p

raindance likes this.
  15. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Tell everyone that you are a robot and that is your telemetry antenna.:cool:

Sania, Purr, SwingingAlong and 2 others like this.
  16. SwingingAlong

SwingingAlong Active Member

My hair is still so short it all sticks up. It is so nice to have hair that I am happy for it to do whatever it likes. I am hoping it will get long enough so I can have a Joanna Leunis type style:cool:

raindance likes this.
  17. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I put hair wax and hair spray on my hair before I went to yoga class. My hair was ok when I left home. And when I came home, my hair was sticking straight up again. :rolleyes:

That's fine. I washed it and flat ironed it into submission this morning. :eek::p:D

SwingingAlong likes this.
  18. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Change your screen name to Alfalfa?

Sania, Purr and Joe like this.
  19. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Small whine. So, the skin on my face is dry, which is something of a novelty for me. At best, my skin is normal, but most of the time it's a little oily. I've pinpointed the culprit is a combination of retinol product from the dermatologist and winter weather. I've scaled back on the retinol product and ramped up the moisturizer (thank you Estee Lauder). The problem is, my skin typically doesn't react well to rich moisturizers, so I'm watching it very closely.

On the flip side, Monday I received a random "you have a good complexion" compliment from the yoga instructor.

It is a little funny when those compliments come. I've had skin cancer removed from my nose, with 13 or 14 stitches, and I have a scar running down the right side of my nose. I have vitiligo on the right side of my face, with areas of skin with little or no pigment, other areas with hyperpigmentation, partial white eyelashes, and a tiny amount of white eyebrow. There are assorted bumps and things, not to mention a tiny scar on my left cheek when a cat clawed me when I was around 5 or 6.

I just work with skin and makeup products, and put the best face forward. The retinol and other products from the dermatologist have helped with the scarring, and gotten rid of the redness that lasted over 6 months. A side effect from the retinol is that the vitiligo has evened out a bit - the areas of hyperpigmentation faded quite a bit. Mascara and eyebrow products cover up the white stuff. And makeup does the rest, and it helps that I've shifted to a softer "glow" look.

j_alexandra and cornutt like this.
  20. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Friends: You have wonderful skin.
    Me: Thank you! It's well applied makeup.
    Friends: No, you really have wonderful skin.
    [Continues for a while along the same lines.]

[They see me without any makeup.]
    Friends: OK. It was the makeup.

IndyLady and Purr like this.