Dancers Anonymous > Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. SwingingAlong

SwingingAlong Well-Known Member

:rofl:

2. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Big whine. I am assigned with a coworker to provide training this month to the staff. We agree on a topic, and I start working on the training. About two weeks go by, and coworker offers nothing but a complaint about something he believes is offensive that should be taken out. Supervisor had approved it, but I took it out to humor the coworker. Coworker then goes on vacation for two weeks, only offering one other complaint about something else. I continue to work on the training, and I e-mail him what I have this morning with the suggestion to meet on Thursday to finalize things, which would give him time to add something. Conveniently, coworker is also out Friday. Coworker comes into my office this afternoon saying, so what part of this are you going to give and what I am going to give. I tell him, don't you have anything to add or improve the training, or did you expect me to write it all myself - I thought you'd at least come up with a few examples. He leaves my office with an incredulous look. I am angry because I came up with a good start, not the final product.

This is why I hate team projects. People are lazy and not responsible. Coworker has until Thursday to come up to something, or I'm going to escalate this to management. Maybe I should have done it sooner, but coworker went vacation and couldn't work on it anyway, and it's not my job to police the staff. The training is due next week, finished or not.

cornutt and j_alexandra like this.
  3. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Update on post from Tuesday. Coworker e-mailed training PPT this morning, and he added content, of which part was pretty good. I think he felt bad for his lack of contribution to previously. We're ok now. I am making one addition this morning, and it's a wrap!

4. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

This is only sort-of a whine, but I really do hate cluttering up the "life is hard" thread with fundamentally trivial stuff - even if I've done it before.

But whelp, it's official. I'm on sabbatical from dance entirely and done with pro-am. There are a bunch of reasons, but it pretty much boils down to mental and physical exhaustion. I'll miss it, but I really think this is for the best.

Le merf.

(I paid for my plane ticket to Orlando with sky miles, so I think I'll still visit Disney the week of USDC. But visiting the Swan during the comp would just hurt too much. But a nice, low stress, vacation with the family will probably do me a world of good.)

fascination likes this.
  5. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that, Jude. Hope the sabbatical gives you the rest and rejuvenation you need!

Purr likes this.
  6. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Ditto. Sorry to hear that

Purr likes this.
  7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Same. Hope the rests helps.

raindance likes this.
  8. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

Good for you Jude to recognize what you need. It sounds like the decision was difficult. Sometimes it takes more courage to pull back than to keep pushing blindly. I trust you will return refreshed and this investment of time off will pay in the long term.

fascination, Loki and raindance like this.
  9. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I've rediscovered that social dancing can be fun. (And saves a crapton of dinero.)

Good luck, whichever route you go,

cornutt, IndyLady, Purr and 1 other person like this.
  10. JudeMorrigan

Blurgh. I did *something* to my back. Last night, I was only just barely able to feed my cats. Getting the food out of the bag and into their dish took minutes. Excruciating minutes. It's a fair bit better today, but that's faint praise indeed. If I were still doing USDC, I'd be in full-out panic mode.

11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

jude...I hear you...my birthday actually falls over usdc...and, while a part of me is sad, another part is thinking, "Gee, it will be nice to enjoy August rather than have it be a month full of intense training and then being away from my family on or around my birthday"...which is what it has been like for a decade....I have been feeling my mind, body and spirit needing to scale back for a while and then life circumstances forced me to stop trying to power through the fatigue...I am not sure what the future holds but I sense that this will be good for me...I hope your break will be good for you as well and that your back mends quickly

j_alexandra and Loki like this.
  12. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Jude, hope you feel better soon!

13. JudeMorrigan

My birthday is September 7th, so we must be awfully close in that regard as well. :)

And yeah, when my physical health hasn't been being stupid, this break has been productive and good for me. I have very little inclination to second-guess myself in regards to making that call.

And thanks to you and Purr vis a vis my back. It's better yet this morning, which is a pretty big relief. The pain was bad enough and spread far enough down my legs Sunday that I was actually pretty worried that something was seriously wrong. But it's down to a fairly localized dull ache today, so I'm optimistic that it'll be back to normal in a week or so.

14. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Lord, save me from the burocracy that is life as a public servant... or at least grant me enough patience to prevent a violent frustrated outburst.

(P.S.: @JudeMorrigan the move-to-Canada offer's still open when you decide to come back to dance... I'd even dance smooth. Just saying.)

j_alexandra likes this.
  15. Mr 4 styles

Or you could move to the US!!!

j_alexandra likes this.
  16. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Yeah, any time you want to move here and help us browbeat our program management about our funding, you're welcome to. :D

17. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Lol. A few more days like yesterday, and I might be ready to jump ship. I had an enormous poutine, and wine, because eating my feelings seemed like a better call than crying or punching things/random people.

18. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Impressive. I have trouble finishing a small poutine. Wine - no problem.

Joe and fascination like this.
  19. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

Or Texas ;) I also have cats so I would never complain about car hair on your practice attire :)

20. Mr 4 styles

Let the bidding begin.......

Sania and Joe like this.