Dancers Anonymous > Whining Thread #2

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cornutt, Jan 23, 2008.

1. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

.. What is it with English news casters/presenters who cannot get the correct pronunciation for Houston.. so far... House ton..and Whostun ....:mad:.....and in the States placing an H where it does not belong as in Shtreet .it's endemic ( not to forget Didn't only has 2 Ds not 3 )..

SwingingAlong likes this.
  2. SwingingAlong

SwingingAlong Well-Known Member

The one that annoys me the most is when people say "sekitree" for secretary. And "Liberryan, instead of librarian.

3. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

BY the by, I do realise that speech is colloquial ,but those in the business of Prof journalism should be held to a higher standard .

There is a host of words that get mutilated daily on the "box" by "educated ? " people ( and I mean primarily by Prof. ) .

4. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I received a letter from the security division of my credit card company today saying that one of the vendors, priceline.com, is disputing that the charges on my card are fraudulent. Their documentation gives the name of the hotel guest, his e-mail address and his telephone number. Their circular reasoning is that the charge was made via mobile web, and confirmed with the e-mail; neither of which is mine. It's ridiculous. I did an online search of the distinct name, and found a 23 year old male with charges for counterfeiting and forgery in the geographic area as the area code of the phone number. I figure that's him. Even if it isn't, there's no way I'd authorize a charge for anyone else but me.

I had a lengthy conversation a representative from the security division yesterday, and today I followed up with letter and signed statement that I'm continuing to dispute the charges. The representative indicated that once they receive my statement, they'll credit my account and revert the charge back to the vendor. I hope they follow through. Apparently the vendor will have to write the charge off as a loss, or go after the man responsible.

There's one more fraudulent charge, but I haven't received anything from the security division indicating if that vendor is disputing that the charge is fraudulent. If/when it happens, I will be calling the security division again.

I was reissued a new credit card, which I activated but haven't used yet. I've lost interest in online shopping, and purchases I make are just about all in cash.

5. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Ugh, I am so sorry to hear this. I've never experienced pushback like that, on occasion we've had to sign & mail back a form that says we are certifying the charges are fraudulent but that's been the extent of it. I hope it gets quickly resolved in your favor, as it should.

Thinking about it, I wonder if priceline's company policy is to automatically dispute fraudulent charges claims (kind of like what people think insurance companies like to do, automatically deny claims and make the policyholder "work" for the money), or at least certain ones by some criteria like dollar amount, so that they don't get burned by false claims. I could see that being an issue with a business like theirs, people trying to scam them by claiming cc fraud.

Either way, this is unfortunate.

6. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Yes, I figure their policy is to automatically dispute fraudulent charge claims. I was appalled that someone could make a reservation for a room in their name, using their mobile number and e-mail address, but because they had my name, address, credit card number and security code on the back for billing, the charge was approved. if it's that easy, then there are probably lots of fraudulent charges out there. I will check back with the security division next week to ensure they received my letter and signed form.

I made a cash withdraw yesterday at my bank for holiday shopping this weekend. I'm not fond of the idea of carrying so much cash around, but I don't know what else to do. I'm not using the card, and I don't want to write checks either. So cash it is. Bring on Kohl's, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond and Barnes & Noble.

No, this doesn't mean mug Purr if you see me on the street. I'm not advertising for that.

7. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Visa gift cards? They work like a gift card or gift certificate, but you can use them anywhere visa is accepted - and you can use cash or debit to buy them.

RiseNFall likes this.
  8. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I've thought about that. My bank offers them, but there's a lot of associated surcharges.

9. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I don't mean the preloaded, cash guaranteed visa cards. Visa makes actual gift cards...not sure about where you are, but here you can buy them at grocery stores, gas stations, drugstores, etc. Acknowledged though that I may live in a different world ;)

10. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Well, it's not the head gasket after all. The cylinder wall has failed (Porsche owners know of the "D-chunking" problem). The engine is a goner. Looking around for a remanufactured engine, or a pull from a wreck, to put in. A short block from Porsche is $17K so that's not even close to an option.

11. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I've seen them. I've given this whole thing a lot of thought over the weekend. If I want to buy someone online, like with Amazon, I'll buy a gift card at Kroger or Giant Eagle and use that towards the purchase. That way I'll get the points for gas purchases. I'll use my credit card sparingly to keep it active, with retailers that have chip readers. Otherwise, I'm paying cash, or with groceries, writing a check. My holiday gift shopping is done for the most part, so I don't anticipate any big purchases. My esthetician appointment and hair appointment in December I can plan for. I need to schedule service for my car in December, but it's a newer model so I hopefully won't have any surprises. I'm just done. It's not like I really need anything anyway. I think for 2018, I need to scale back anyway, and use up what I have. I have a linen closet full of personal care products, and a cabinet full of household cleaners. I don't need clothes, unless something is a timeless statement piece that is a "must have"; those are few and far between. The only exception is I need one new pair of jeans, maybe in a smaller size, to replace a pair that has unfashionable holes from too much wear.

Oh, Santa is getting me gift cards for Christmas. I am hoping for AMC theaters (always a winner!) and either Target (practical) or Talbot's (not practical, but good for after Christmas sales for that pair of jeans). A friend is getting me jewelry making supplies from Michael's for Christmas, so I'm set there, and I'm determined to use up beads I already have and not buy more. We're having a Secret Santa gift exchange at work, and there's a sheet posted in the break room where you can gift your Secret Santa suggestions. I need to come up with some ideas, otherwise there's a high likelihood I'll get Bath & Body Works, which I don't need.

12. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Oh, an additional whine. I managed to reinjure my hurt toe yesterday. It was bad, and I was limping around. Toe is taped up today, and I am wearing boots; walking is much improved. I figure I'm going to be taping my toe indefinitely until it heals up completely.