Funstuff and Inspiration > Why do you dance?

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by Kits, May 5, 2010.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

body flight...plain and simple

chomsky and MaggieMoves like this.
  2. KPomPom

KPomPom Member

As in... skydiving? What do you mean by body flight?

3. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

It's probably best described by this quote:

"You have to love dancing to stick to it. It gives you nothing back, no manuscripts to store away, no paintings to show on walls and maybe hang in museums, no poems to be printed and sold, nothing but that single fleeting moment when you feel alive." Merce Cunningham

chomsky, OreganO and KPomPom like this.
  4. KPomPom

KPomPom Member

Oh I see what you mean. I've just never heard it called that before (and I have heard that term used for skydiving, so I guess I just got confused!)

I do love that Merce Cunningham quote though. It hung in one of my favorite studios a few years ago.

5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Body flight is that weeeeeeeee feeling you get when flying around the dance floor in the traveling dances with a great partner while chewing up floor like an indy car on the track

6. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

7. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

At this point it's habit and it feels bizarre if I don't go to the dance studio every day after work.

But mainly because I love feeling the music and moving my body to it, I love the challenge and reward of working hard and seeing progress, I love the sparkles and the costumes and dressing up to show off. I love that dance has made me a better person in every way.

Pu251 and cornutt like this.
  8. Pu251

Pu251 Member

Exactly, dancing makes us better and better!

chomsky likes this.
  9. KPomPom

KPomPom Member

I couldn't agree more!

10. OreganO

OreganO Member

Not sure if there are any fans of The Red Shoes here but I think this quote dramatically sums it up:
    Lermontov: Why do you want to dance?
    Vicky: Why do you want to live?
    Lermontov: Well, I don't know exactly why, but... I must.
    Vicky: That's my answer too.

chomsky, Pu251, SwayWithMe and 2 others like this.
  11. JTh

JTh Member

I dance because of several reasons..probably the main one being that it allows me a deeper and meaningful connection.. That's a fairly basic human need after all..probably wouldn't say that to the instructors ( because the knee jerk reaction is to think your life is superficial) .. but I'd wager a guess it's one of the more common 'real' reasons why people start dance and also why they continue with it. I'd suspect this creates passion, habit etc...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    chomsky likes this.
  12. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

The question for me isn't "why do I dance". The question is, "why would I not?"

13. Pam322

Pam322 New Member

I dance because it is my passion. It is also very good exercise for mind and body. Dancing relaxes me from the worries of the material world. It's the pleasure of doing something I am talented and I love.