General Dance Discussion > Why technique is the way it

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Partner Dancer, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

And the assertion that any of this has jack to do with dizziness always has me snorting and sighing...

Dizziness is a psychological response to physiological stimuli. The fluid in your ear will spin regardless of whether one spots or shapes a turn, no matter if you are on your axis or not, one will always be "dizzy". You cannot stop the fluid from moving when you move.

But you can turn off the psychological reaction, simply through repetition, in the end cutting off the brains automatic assumption that the body is in danger and needs to sit down for safety's sake. It is repetition and mental focus that dampens the panic response and allows the body to continue to function in a normal manner.

You also have receptors in your feet that tell you whether or not you are standing up or falling sideways, as well as proprioception coming in from all parts of the body. Training your brain to pay attention to those signals, instead of the spinning fluid in the loops in your ear, is the key to overcoming dizziness.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  2. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I cannot like this enough. Larinda, you've written the clearest explanation of what happened when I had crippling vertigo for weeks, and Teach agreed to help me through it -- I went back into the studio, and he led me through underarm turns and spins, and I was dizzy as hell until I did exactly what you said: trained my brain to dampen its panic response, and to pay attention to receptors in my feet and my proprioception.

Thank you!

IndyLady and Larinda McRaven like this.
  3. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

4. vit

vit Active Member

Actually some ballroom teachers in my area are using some kind of similar ideas like Partner Dance when teaching adults some ballroom on some kind of hobby classes (meaning above ordinary social ballroom dance classes, but no competitive ambitions)

Problem is, most people have various sitting jobs, their spines are really not in good condition, their balance is bad, they have no idea about activating the core or swing etc but they would like to learn dancing ... their main problem is actually how to avoid falling when doing steps, so their core is stiff even at the beginning. However, since they are not very upright, teachers try to somehow make them more upright and address various parts of the core including pelvis during classes ... so they become even more stiff .. then they put the couple in a nice ballroom hold before they start dancing. Which of course falls apart in the middle of the second figure at best ...

One can't really teach someone a "technique" to use core muscles if half of those muscles become passive years ago. There is no such a magic technique and there are no shortcuts ... and many teachers unfortunately do more harm than good, especially those trying to invent new dance theories ... hope it's better in other parts of the world ...

edit: forgot to say thanks for great explanations above

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    nessundorma likes this.
  5. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

@Larinda McRaven I think I love you. My early dance career, I heard so many general warnings about "not sticking your butt out" in classes - even though I didn't - that I started to tuck, placing all sorts of stress on my lower back. I've spent the last year or so rediscovering neutral, and learning how to use my hips and pelvis to help me dance (rather than to block myself). This (overly) simple explanation definitely did not help me!

6. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

This is one of my biggest problems - you would think that "neutral" would be the default if you're not trying to do anything, but I don't seem to have a neutral and I struggle to find it. And this is for life in general, not just limited to spinal/ab/booty positioning in a dance setting.

RiseNFall likes this.
  7. vit

vit Active Member

I think that all of us have various "neutrals", just that most of them are not what our dance teachers think is neutral (or should be)

When you float in the water, then obviously most core muscles are in the state of minimum tension, so this is something neutral

When standing up relaxed, muscles are in some minimum energy mode needed for body to remain stable and avoid falling

Unfortunately, neither is good enough for dancing (especially performance/competitive). Doesn't look good and doesn't enable most efficient way of movement. So here, one needs "presentation" posture/shape. In some dance styles it is additionally shaped/curved

With lots of training, muscles get trained to work in great harmony when moving/dancing so that body shape isn't disturbed in unwanted ways. But there is no any magic technique to achieve it, it's mostly about general condition of the core; if it doesn't work good enough, there will always be some part of it sticking out somewhere. Even if it is only a social dancing, you feel it from your partner (and he/she from you) very well

As local well known dance/sport physiotherapist explained to my GF when she visited him, problem is (simplified) that with aging/much sitting, part of the core muscles becomes passive/weak, while other gets overloaded, so resulting action is uneven. Goal is to put them back to work

Interestingly, nobody commented PD's ballet technique of samba rocks on the previous page