"Women in High Heels"

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by BodiesByBija, Nov 27, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yes. I don't get that. But I've had people bring me shoes as a gift from abroad before, as well. Uhh... thanks, I think. But I like to try on my shoes. :?

2. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

As I have probably mentioned before, I have to buy my shoes online(Zappos.com has GREAT shoes!) as it is difficult to find shoes for my gargantuan 8 1/2 size foreigner feet, and if I DO find shoes in my size, they are like $160!(Normally twice the price of that in the states) Zappos, the company I order from, has write-ups on the shoes from their customers so I can review the comfort/quality factor before ordering. I have been ordering shoes from them for the past 3 years and haven't been disappointed yet! When I travel to western countries I always make a stop to buy shoes, but impossible over here in Asia, where everyone's like a size 6... :?

3. BodiesByBija

BodiesByBija New Member

Special deal on Thorlos right now

Thorlo Socks
    Buy 3 Get 1 Pair Complimentary
    No charge for shipping on your entire order when you spend $55.00 or more on Thorlo Socks
    http://w w w.sockcompany.com/thorlos.html

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Gracie!! I know some friends who would be interested in this sale.

5. pygmalion

Excellent. Thanks. I LOVE sleeping in socks, even in the summer. I just slather the moisturizer/foot cream on, and wake up feeling great. :D

6. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Bandolinos - I am curious :lol: just googled but could not find a specific website. Anyone?

7. pygmalion

Hmm. Not sure. I get them from Macy's, Steinmart, or Marshall's (all stores with no UK outlet, I bet. :? ) I'll take a look around. That may be a label under another shoe maufacturing company. :?

8. pygmalion

I love you, girl!!! You made me discover that they have website!!! bandolino.com. :banana:

9. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

I'm bopping up for Mellody43. :)

10. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I saw a bunch of stuff on their site & it looks like the kind of styles I presently own & love!(You have excellent taste!) A series in their handbag collection also bears my last name "Stafford", which I have taking a liking to and might have to make an on-line purchase in the near future... :shock:

11. pygmalion

I have a feeling I'll be buying stuff, too. They have quite a few online exclusives. Hmm...

12. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

Thanks, Dancepoet! =) =)

13. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

The prices are moderate, too! (I've been buying my leather purses in Hong Kong for the past 20 years, so I don't know the average cost in the states, but the Bandolino site had items for half of what they would cost in Japan, so to me, that's reasonable!)

14. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

I am one who wears heels daily.... a 1" heel is 'flat' for me... true flats literally makes my legs/knees ache because I am used to heels. However, I m not one you will find complaining about pain... first of all, my feet and legs are used to and comfortable in heels... secondly, I am picky about my shoes (look and quality). I always look for well balanced shoes and they must fit RIGHT not good enough. I generally do a few salsa steps in the store to check shoes also. I passed up some lovely (on sale) Carlos Santana pumps today [​IMG] and some silver sandals.... it may be frustrating trying to find good shoes, but I ADORE the shoes I have and most of them I can dance in :)

15. pygmalion

Doesn't wearing heels all the time shorten some muscle or tendon or something? I read that somewhere -- can't remember the details, though.

16. blue

blue New Member

I once tried a pair of high heel dance shoes with a pelott built in - is the word the same in English? A little soft thing pointing up, at the beginning of the arch of the foot. I wasn't sure I found it comfortable, but the person selling it said that this damage to part of the foot, that can be prevented with this device, is the most common reason for foot surgery.
    [​IMG]

Those of you who are used to high heels - should a good high heel shoe give support to the foot all the way through the arch, or is it just the front pad and the heel that really rests on the shoe? I hardly have any. The last pair I bought, a pair of really cheap low boots, tire my feet very quickly and I have come to wonder if this has something to do with it...

17. DancePoet

I hate being late. :oops: :( Yet ... you are very welcome! :D

18. DancePoet

Oooh ... I hope you still take steps to protect your future. ;)

19. DancePoet

This reminds me of when I was a competitive runner. I have feet ... oh, great, here I go discussing this :roll: ... where the toe next to the big toe is longer then the big toe. I once knew the non-technical name of this ... something like Morton's foot. Anyway, someone at the time mentioned to me how this created a weekness in the arch where blue's picture points. I used to where an arch support specifically to help prevent injury here.

So ... why did this strike me? Because I recently had a slight injury at the arch shown after a night of dancing. I figured it was just age setting in, and it just finally hit me that this "weakness" might have reared it's ugly head. :(

Hmmm ... well maybe it was age, too. ;) :lol:

20. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

heels etc

oooh, where do i start...

first of all, this is my first posting on this great site. i've been lurking for a while, but this particular subject made me overcome my laziness and register. :shock:

i'm a ballroom dancer (yeah yeah, i know), i've also gotten into WCS lately, which i love for entirely different reasons and on top of all that, i'm studying to become a shoe designer at FIT in new york.

ok, introductions over with, on to the actual topic of shoes.
    high heels hurt for a number of reasons, besides being utterly unnatural and all that.
    first of all, vast majority of normal (non-dance) high heels do not provide any padding in the ball of the foot. considering that's where most of the weight is, UGGGGH for that! men must be forced to wear high heels before being allowed to design them.
    secondly, none of them provide arch support, because the part that's supposed to support the arch generally doesn't touch it. why is it that sneakers get arch support and high heels don't? see above. btw, thanks a bunch to the person who posted the insolia link, it's the first sane approach to high heels i've seen so far!
    thirdly, most women wear shoes that are too high for their feet. your feet, ladies, need to be flexible enough to get to that height to begin with, and strong enough to be able to support your body in that position. when i switched from 2.5" to 3" i had the worst arch cramps until i started doing exercises for my feet, and then the cramps were gone within a week. oh, and stretching before and after helps too.

the part of the foot that gets really messed up by wearing high heels is called the achilles tendon. it connects your heel to your calf in the back of you leg and when you wear high heels too much, it gets shortened. it needs to be stretched out regularly to avoid injury and to allow for comfort while wearing regular shoes. if you don't, you're risking rupturing it, and then you're in real trouble.

i'll have to check out those baudolino shoes (they're owned by the jones apparel group, as is everything else these days). i've yet to find high heels that feel decent after my dance naturals, and i'm a little sceptical because all the other shoes by that corporation don't cut it, but just maybe....

and yeah, WCS shouldn't be danced in high heels, that's silly. i mean, some people manage and still look awesome, but for most of us, it's hard enough to learn the "pull" connection to fight the forward push of heels on top of that.

whew

maybe next time i'll respond to each post separately instead of dumping it all in one fell swoop.

thanks for reading!