Dancers Anonymous > yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

today/thurs....teach a fitness class....visit with a former neighbor who is celebrating her 70 birthday.....it is a total mindblow because I have known her since I was 22 and she was 43 1/2...where did the time go? I adore her and visiting with her on each of our birthdays is something we always make happen....then broke down and got a costco membership and promptly dropped 350 bucks without even trying hard....field a call from dad who has decided to speed up a hip replacement...happy for him but wish it could have waited til he was back up north....currently cuddling kitties waiting for dh to return from DC

Sania and j_alexandra like this.
  2. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

uh-oh, Saturday?

Spend most of the day prepping for a Jarred Pasta Sauce Tasting; as of noon, father thinks I am gonna fall on my face, b/c chaos reigns, but by the time the first member of my distinguished panel of judges arrives, all is under control; a good time is had by all, and wine flows, and judging sheets are filled out, and a surprise winner; cleanup done by Other People, so all in all, a huge win

Sunday:

Wheelchair class, a large one and very energetic and happy
    Dinner with DB#4 and one other friend, at the Chinese place I discovered shortly after I came home from China and which has made me nostalgic for shanghai and also feeds my good-Chinese-food jones
    Drive home in the snow; it doesn't fall long, nor stick around, yay

3. j_alexandra

Monday:

Lesson
    Group class
    Everything in between is a blur

Tuesday:

Lesson; one for the record books; Teach and I start talking about some seriously juicy stuff, which results in seriously juicy dancing, yay
    Group class
    again with the blur

Wednesday:

Gyro; my last for about a month, as gyro teacher is going to New Zealand to visit her husband's family for the holidays
    Lesson, in which Magic Happens, and Teach finally, finally stops referring to me as a cow (yes, my bar is that low; hey, it's an improvement over "marginally sentient bag of road salt")
    BFF and I go wandering around the new Whole Foods that's just opened near us, and have BFF facetime *and* serious food tourism, total win
    Home in time to make a yum dinner
    Read; z

Sania likes this.
  4. j_alexandra

Yesterday:

Rolfer, who works on my seriously fubared neck/shoulder interface on the left side (cannot help but think this is related to doing a lot of Standard and body just hasn't gotten used to it yet)
    Errands; home
    Theater, this time I'm reviewing so I have to pay attention
    Long conversation with DB#4 on the way home; gotta love bluetooth car/phone connection; that drive from 7th Avenue and 50th St. to home went by like a flash
    Stop on the way home to write up notes from theater and have a glass of wine and bowl of soup
    Home; z

5. j_alexandra

I used to like you. But we can't be friends any more. I'm so sorry. (please tell me you realize this was humor)

3wishes likes this.
  6. fascination

fri...teach a fitness class...work and receive bonus check...take a few lessons from first pro for auld lang syne.....hear that son didn't get the job he applied for but was offered a different one but it is commission based....sigh...better than nothing but not great...we will work with it til something else turns up....long week, long month, sipping some tequila and telling myself it will be allright

j_alexandra likes this.
  7. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Oh JA, I still do the "real deal" c.c. Cookies, that said, a boatload of GS friends and several,family members have truly serious food allergies that have challenged me to re-create so they are not "left out" , especially the little ones, the cookies disappeared so fast I had to make three more batches for the school and neighbor's. Which is exactly what I did yesterday. Lol, wink.

RiseNFall likes this.
  8. j_alexandra

Friday:

Lesson, Magic, omg did that really happen
    Bake bake bake

Saturday:

Observe snow falling, turning to freezing rain, turn to rain, and, at last, the Plow Guy!!
    In to NYC with DB#4, to watch competition, have a glass of wine, just have girl face time in general; weather gods are benevolent, we get street parking, a restaurant in the neighborhood we used to like but haven't been to in years is still open and still good; one amateur couple is well worth watching; all in all, a good evening
    Home; z

Sunday:

Theater matinee on 59th street near Park Avenue; this is THE SUNDAY BEFORE CHRISTMAS, what was father thinking booking theater on THE SUNDAY BEFORE CHRISTMAS not to mention it's basically around the corner from the Trump Tower, which means traffic is epically fubared; note to self: NO MORE THEATER IN THAT AREA b/c the police presence and gazillion tourists make it basically unmanageable; show is pleasant, but it took longer to drive in than to watch the show
    Stop at a party on the way home; my teeny weeny town (300 people, more or less) has a nice party, which I have skipped for ages, but since father is kind of a celebrity here, we go; I see some people I havent' seen since I babysat for them, some totally new to me; some are writers, some are television personalities (srsly!) some are patronizing; all in all, a party
    Home; z

9. j_alexandra

Yesterday:

Lesson, epically terrible; Teach threatens beatings, throttling, etc.*; why does this happen after the good ones?
    Home; more baking, and I must never, ever make this recipe again b/c they are THAT GOOD and I want to eat them all; also make chicken soup, just because
    Too tired to go to group class *and* my back hurts, but go anyway; turns out to be a good thing b/c I needed to move, and voila, back no longer hurts
    Home; z

* he would NEVER but he joke-threatens from time to time

3wishes likes this.
  10. 3wishes

Final plans for Christmas Day dinner at our house, mapped out, calls made, check list of side dishes everyone is bringing and THEN, of course, IT IS GOING TO RAIN...ok. soooooooooooooooo, this is the holidays, remember reminder to DH as he moved little fridge to living room so I could put huge turkey in to defrost for a few days.
    WHEW.
    We both try to remember the last time we did this...ok, let's just say, we can't remember.
    DH goes with me to store, because he wants to get out of house, groceries loaded, DH proceeds to tell me how frozen he is from the store and builds a fire in the fireplace at 10 a.m. uhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    Text msgs from ballroom friends "where are you?" as the showcase was this past weekend.
    Me? uh, learning to walk again, like really walk, not stroll. lol, wink.
    Final gifts wrapped. We do small things, except for the grandkids,,,then it's our hearts desire.
    DH and I pass out really early, like EARLY,,,and yet sleep a record number of hours. Note to self: you would have thought we had been to a New Year's Eve party, we were that exhausted,,,,hmmmm maybe go to a really cold store again, it apparently makes him sleep" lol.

11. 3wishes

Made it through 3 laps, cleaning up dining room table from baking.
    Tested out counter top oven, watched DH work out like mad anticipating a Honey Baked Ham and tradition for Christmas Day.
    Basically, other than the Farrell cat catching a big blue jay, pretty darn quiet.

j_alexandra likes this.
  12. j_alexandra

Tuesday:

Lesson an improvement, and that's all I remember

Wednesday:

Lesson an improvement on Tuesday
    Social dancing with DB#1 in the evening; my absolutefaveomg leader, whom I haven't seen in years, shows up; this warms my heart all to hell and gone until DB#1 swoops in and interrupts my negotiation with him and just plain snags the tango I was about to snag; I chewed her out (with humor and gently) all the way home in the car; hey, folks, is this a guillotine-offense or just stink it up?

Thursday:

More baking, including a measurement error that means I make twice the cookies I intend to; half that batter is still sitting in the fridge, waiting for me to bake it
    Xmas prep

Friday:

Rolfer
    Pick up old friend at airport; she and I figure out we've been friends for thirty years; this starts a week of celebration and fun

13. j_alexandra

Saturday:

up 5:30; start baking 5:45
    Finish tree, decorating house, making Xmas eve dinner, cleanup, etc so by the time people arrive, all I want to do is go to bed
    Two unexpected guests, family, a surprise that makes father v happy
    Much food, much unwrapping; this year, one of the attendees is very pregnant and so there are extra warm feelings rolling around
    Cleanup

14. j_alexandra

Sunday:

Brain dead slackjawed watching of movies on tv
    More family visits
    Make error in timing judgment and dinner is not finished until about 9:30pm, which is not how we usually roll, oopsie, so we have a long drawn out dinner (salad at six, spuds at 8, roast at 9:30, pretty funny in some ways)

15. j_alexandra

Yesterday:

Take Friend to NYC to Metropolitan Museum, then go down 5th avenue to look at store windows (Barney's, Bergdorf's, Tiffany); traffic is eerily light, we get parking on the street near the stores, traffic on the way home is even lighter; wotthe? Oh, snap, today is the day-off holiday, no banks, offices, stock exchange etc so it was a perfect day to go do tourism stuff in the city
    Home; force self to stay awake til 9pm

16. fascination

rough day....learned that my one time best friend for about 15 years, from whom I have been estranged for about 7 years is likely going to pass away soon....I didn't know that she was ill ...we parted ways over some fairly significant differences but not with any sort of falling out....her youngest child is our god daughter....she has a very young grandson that she will be leaving behind....very difficult news....additionally the circumstances with our son's ongoing struggles with adult-ing are not yet yielding hopeful outcomes and we have some pending financial stresses...so it has been a very stressful and difficult time...on the flip side, I have a new client, who is Muslim (which is rare in these parts) and it has been a delightful and warm opportunity to build kindness and trust....so, keeping the holiday lights off tonight and sipping some tequila as I think of Darla whose deep dimples and strong views were such an important part of my late twenties and thirties and praying for her family whose pain I understand too well

17. 3wishes

Went to Pasadena to meet up with ballroom sister friends for lunch and "Jackie" movie.
    Noted the ever famous grandstands for the Rose Parade are up, no camping out till Sunday evening for parade and it has become a very busy City.
    Picked up GS, invited his neighborhood pals, played PieFace, screams of delight to the point that their parents showed up and wanted to see what this was all about as they could hear the laughter. It was pretty funny.
    Football for DH.
    Fainted at credit card bill.
    Returned new non-fitting ski boots.
    Sought out Horse Rescue near by - as a potential volunteer. Decided, this is my year to get out and do things I am more interested in, even, maybe, beekeeping! Although I am loving the worm farms idea. Hahahaha.

Sania likes this.
  18. j_alexandra

The Week of Friend Visit continued with shopping, moviegoing, (LaLa Land!), cooking, etc.

Friday:
    Take friend to airport at 4:30am; home by 6:10, back in bed by 6:15
    Up, Rolfer
    Home, start cooking and prepping for New Year's Day party; spend rest of day doing that

Saturday:
    More cooking and prepping for party
    In-house nephew starts prepping for his own NYE party
    Other nephew, his wife, their four kids come to visit Great Grandpa; my brother and SIL show up, more present-opening, more food, more cousins show up, at one point there are 13 people in my kitchen, so my party prep is over
    Go to a ballroom NYE party; better than staying home NYE but it's one of those days that make me wonder if I'm the worst dancer in the world
    Home; z by 2

Purr likes this.
  19. j_alexandra

Sunday:

Up and at em by 8am, b/c people are showing up at 3 and I have Things To Do
    Run out of trash bags, plastic wrap and foil by 9am (seriously, folks; if you KNOW there's a party soon, please do not use the last trash bags and not replace them, seriously, please); emergency call to DB#4, who arrives, rescues, helps with setup, and is generally calm and wonderful
    Manage to have all ready by party time, which is a good thing, b/c some folks actually arrive ON TIME; who does this? ;-) after that, all is chaos and fun, about 75 people, lots of wine and talking; some surprises, including someone who invited himself and four other people, which was hilarious, and stayed until about 3 hours after the party was over, which was also hilarious, but he also cleaned up and took leftovers home, yay
    Bed by 11ish

Sania and 3wishes like this.
  20. j_alexandra

Monday:
    slackjawed crash and burn

Tuesday:
    Lesson and coaching for upcoming competition; this was useful, eye opening, not nearly as stressful as I expected, and all good
    Order a new (used) gown to try on; fingers crossed; I've been wearing my Smooth gown for five years and I love it, but would be nice to have a plan B
    Cofeee with DB#4, who also had coaching; we compare notes, write up our observations, etc
    Home; lunch; nap; soup; bed; I think I slept for about 11 hours all told

Wednesday:
    Lesson, in which the process of integrating coaching info gets a rocket-boost
    Tea with across the street neighbor, who has been in and out of hospital; she is a writer, and talks of her newest book, her inspirations, etc etc and it's a cross between feeling privileged to be hearing this and, well, envy, b/c she's so damn good (I'm talking Pulitzer/Nobel-level good)
    Dinner with father/brother/SIL at favorite restaurant; been too long since I've done this