yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Monday:
    slackjawed crash and burn

Tuesday:
    Lesson and coaching for upcoming competition; this was useful, eye opening, not nearly as stressful as I expected, and all good
    Order a new (used) gown to try on; fingers crossed; I've been wearing my Smooth gown for five years and I love it, but would be nice to have a plan B
    Cofeee with DB#4, who also had coaching; we compare notes, write up our observations, etc
    Home; lunch; nap; soup; bed; I think I slept for about 11 hours all told

Wednesday:
    Lesson, in which the process of integrating coaching info gets a rocket-boost
    Tea with across the street neighbor, who has been in and out of hospital; she is a writer, and talks of her newest book, her inspirations, etc etc and it's a cross between feeling privileged to be hearing this and, well, envy, b/c she's so damn good (I'm talking Pulitzer/Nobel-level good)
    Dinner with father/brother/SIL at favorite restaurant; been too long since I've done this

2. j_alexandra

Yesterday:

Rolfer
    To House of Ex; he has not paid his bills in months, and I finally let pity take over and offered to do it for him, every month; this was the first, big, catching-up event; also start the process of making most of his bills auto-pay, so he won't ever have this problem again
    Cancel web hosting
    Close website finally for realz
    Cancel my email; well, not really, just drop down to email only for a month, while I organize something else, which I start organizing
    RUN OUT OF BOOKS TO READ which in this house is saying something

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

no idea where to begin...short version....son and dh have bad colds, holidays must go on....people need to work out at my house in the a.m. and are counting on me and things are busy at work...I lose a friend... long time friend, get my chops busted hard at work over two different difficult death scenarios where I am in the wrong place at the wrong time despite massive efforts on my part to have it be otherwise....3 different family holiday events must be cooked and cleaned for, then there are car troubles with dtr's car and mine.....there are also mysterious back pains, and female health issues and drama over son's current life scenario as well as dh's firm's compensation meetings coming up, plus I have a comp in a month for which I am not prepared....struggling with my aging, the current political moral dynamic, and the state of affairs of the world in general....think a few days alone to collect and gather myself are in order....

4. j_alexandra

Friday:

Lesson
    That's all I remember

Saturday:
    Tai Chi, then
    Snow day! De-Christmasing the house, plus cooking enough dinner to last until Tuesday (literally) plus amazon prime

Sunday:

Wheelchair dance class, at which journalists show up and interview folks
    Home, freezing

5. j_alexandra

Monday:
    Lesson, in which coaching from previous week really starts to have huge effect
    Errands
    New gown arrives in the mail; not thrilling, alas; yes, it's a used gown, but it needs more repair than it's worth
    Group class: foxtrot, my favorite form of crack

Yesterday:

Mess with my hair for pre-competition strategies; this involves huge amounts of hair products, not my usual thing
    Bring new gown to lesson, Teach does not approve, but rest of lesson goes well; at a certain point, we fix something in foxtrot that's been going off the rails for months, and it's just so.damn.cool.
    Home; wash all that product out of my hair
    Spend much time trying to get approval to return gown; this is not going well, shall we say
    Interestingly bad headache; decide not to go to group class

6. fascination

let's see....lessons in milwaukee on mon and tues...lessons went reasonably well considering that it has been a while and the choreo is new and I have a comp coming up far too quickly....slept very poorly though and still feel at though I am having a bad post holiday hangover....having absorbed too many difficult things and then yesterday the "financial adjustment" at dh's work occurred which means saying goodbye to a third of our income....we are very fortunate that we are still fine, but it does have consequences....ironically, last night may have been the first night in a long while that we were able to have a relaxing evening together, go to bed at the same time, and sleep well...coupled with an ice storm today, I think I am going to let the recovery continue unless there is an urgent work demand.

7. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Ice, snow, rain, sleet currently. Probably a good night to watch DSI vids.

j_alexandra likes this.
  8. fascination

yep...while it is icy sleet here now, the temp is expected to drop rather than warm and I live in a hilly neighborhood so, absent a death call where family is deeply grieving and in need of support, my scheduled visits can wait til tomorrow.

9. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Hello, it's me. I've thought about us for a long, long time. No, it's not Todd Rundgren. I've been gone from here for sooooo long and I apologize. Retiring from the USAF after 36 years and starting to work on another graduate degree (this one in fashion design and merchandising, not science and technology like my others) have really sent me off on a tangent from my dance buddies here. I've missed you and I'll try to summarize the past six months in a short paragraph:

Started school in August, which requires 250 mile round trip each day to/from class. Had a blast and scored four A's for the fall semester. Dance pro's wife is diagnosed with metastatic melanoma so comp travel is put on hold for a while. But lessons continue and improvements are enjoyed. Oldest daughter becomes pregnant (yay!!!) but within a couple of months loses baby (we cried and cried together.) Do two comps in December, since pro's wife is stable. Dad spends Christmas with us. MAJOR house cleaning occurs and many forgotten items found. Goodwill Industries scores! School starts again next week.

3wishes and j_alexandra like this.
  10. fascination

nurdrms....so sorry to hear about the baby and about your pro's wife....hug hug hug....but go you in the school thing

11. fascination

btw...there are numerous infant loss support organizations in the US....feel free to p.m. me if you feel it would be beneficial

12. NURDRMS

Fasc, thanks so much. Doc told Lauren she could try again after one full cycle so we're keeping our fingers crossed. Lauren is worried because she's 34 and feels the clock ticking but we're all optimistic. I will keep your message in mind, though, if she needs. i have missed you.

13. fascination

we have missed you as well...so glad to get an update....xo

j_alexandra and FancyFeet like this.
  14. fascination

doing today now as tomorrow will be crazy busy making up for what didn't get done today...lovely evening last night then awake to find ice everywhere, though one person---in spite of my warnings--decided to come over to work out...my 10 am meeting was cancelled and dh's train wasn't running so I decided to wait to see pt's til tomo...and it was a good thing because I basically went back to bed at around 11 I think and sleep clean through to 2:30...roused myself and spent the rest of the day folding laundry and practicing..I may take the ornaments off the tree tonight and continue reading a book tonight....tomorrow will be crazy at I have 7 patients to see...

j_alexandra likes this.
  15. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Monday: work, eat, dance practice, gym, groceries, shower, eat, bed.

Tuesday: work, dance practice... scheduled lesson, but we're having a snow storm and pro is delayed. He arrives over an hour late, so I'm thinking we're skipping my lesson, but he wants to work... so we do, for more than an hour. I did not have enough food for this, and hit a wall (and probably got pretty whiny/crabby). Very slow drive home, promptly eat and shower, and dive into bed.

Wed: so sore... work, interrupted by a trip to the health food store for arnica pellets. Dance lesson, to which I wear a protest t-shirt stating "Everything hurts and I'm dying." Ballet class, where I'm very thankful it is the first class back for some, so is a little gentler then normal, with more stretching. Shower, dinner, bed.

Thurs: Work, where I have the most irritating meeting. Home to work on my new dress for a bit (which is a bit of a departure for me and I'm a little worried about), where I manage to break 4 needles because some of the embellishment techniques involve wire. Dinner and some hangout time with a friend. Friend likes the dress sketch and in-progress bodice, so I feel slightly better. Foam roll, then bed.

16. j_alexandra

Wednesday:
    Get slammed with intestinal trouble; cancel lesson
    Spend day close to bathroom, wrapped in something warm

Yesterday:
    Innards improve some
    Rolfer
    Costco for new monitor; I love my 12" macbook, but the aging eyes wanted a bigger screen, and they got it
    Except that there's no power cord in the package; TDNWMH
    Theater; Chekhov updated, and Cate Blanchett on stage!

17. NURDRMS

Meet with financial planner, who says something along the lines of, "well, you know, at your age you really should consider something a little less aggressive." EXCUSE me???

cornutt likes this.
  18. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Don't take it as an insult. CW advocates different allocations for different ages in its most simplistic model.

19. j_alexandra

Yeaterday:
    The Day of Cool Things:
    Early morning visit from DB#1 and 4, so we can watch local news video about wheelchair dance classes; news spot is cute, and getting the word out is great
    Lesson, ridiculously wonderful, on a day when I wasn't firing on all 8 and it all worked anyway;
    Back to Costco to return/exchange monitor;
    Cool Thing #1 happens in parking lot: many carts overflowing the cart corral and blocking part of parking aisle; a man walking down the aisle ahead of me with his very young son, stops and rearranges the carts so no more blocking, an act of kindness I'm thrilled to see him demonstrating to his kid;
    Cool Thing #2 Costco worker makes sure she picks a good box for new computer monitor to replace the one I returned *and* opens it for me to be sure there's a power cord in this one, and is generally terrific
    Cool Thing #3 happens on the checkout line, when the woman two carts ahead of me drops something and and when I move to pick it up for her, the young man one cart ahead (hip-hop clothes, long dreadlocks, slouchy demeanor) says, "I got it," and does it with a smile -- dang! so much for my expectations of young men who dress like that!
    Cool Thing #4: Verizon customer service is PLEASANT, HELPFUL, AND EFFICIENT. And there's ZERO WAIT TIME ON THE PHONE.
    Who could bear more? Well, I could. Bring it on!
    Hot and spicy Chinese lunch
    Home; set up new, enormous monitor -- may be OK, maybe not, we'll see
    Read; z although I try desperately to stay awake until 9pm, it just didn't happen

RiseNFall likes this.
  20. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

WTF?!?? You sure you didn't slip into an alternate Universe somehow?

j_alexandra likes this.