Swing Discussion Boards > Your Favorite Tunes for: WEST COAST SWING

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Phil Owl, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

GJB, thanks for posting those lists!

2. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Your welcome ! It was easy. I just stole them from elsewhere : )

3. Artemia

Artemia New Member

On Saturday my instructor told me none of the songs I picked would work.. "They're all rumba songs" he said to me. He even tried to play me the Michael Buble version of Fever to tell me the Elvis Fever was as fox trot.

I stared at him blankly more than responding constructively and didn't have time to get into a real discussion with him before class started.

Monday I was at the studio and asked him to listen to them again, deciding to take the route of "you're right, but can you humor me anyway?" rather than tell him they WERE west coast swing songs. I really liked the Enrique Inglesias song "Ring my Bells" but for an unexplained reason he kept trying to steer me away from that one.

At the end of the night I was joking around with a few of the other instructors and he stole the DJ booth and started playing the Elvis "Fever" song. I THINK he's agreed to use that one, but I have no idea, I'm more confused than anything.

I thank you all for your suggestions, the coaching with Ron Christy isn't for over a month so when it comes down to it he'll probably convince me to use one of the canned songs the studio uses every night. :p

4. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

When we say, "This is a West Coast Swing", or, "This is a Two Step", what we mean is that (hopefully) we can take this song and easily dance that particular dance to it.
    Believe also, that even the music in 3/4 time that we know as a waltz, can be danced to more than one way.
    Thinking that you can only do one dance to one particluar song shows a narrowness of thinking about the relationship between music and dance.

5. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Artemia, maybe you should dance your routine with another instructor?

6. Artemia

Artemia New Member

I just switched to this instructor from my previous of 8 months (for other reasons), and he's the one I grab for WCS in parties, etc.

I'm sure we'll figure out a good song by the time the routine rolls around. We've only had one lesson together despite the 9 ish months I've been in the studio so the more we dance the more we can figure it out. :p

Thanks for the tip though, if I were still with my previous instructor I might use that as a kick in the boot to move. :D

7. Julien

Julien New Member

Hello everyone! Just registered right now!

First of all I'd thank you everybody for songs title and artists name.

I found here really good songs! Thank you all of you.

Here's mine for your pleasure I hope :D:

Jamie Cullum - Mind Trick
    Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke
    Keb' Mo' - Soon As I Get Paid
    Keb' Mo' - Remain Silent
    Michael Jackson - The Way You Make Feel
    John Legend - I Used To Love You
    Lenny Kravitz - Where Are We Running
    Sheryl Crow - All I Wanna Do
    Prince - Cream
    Prince - Kiss

Enjoy! ;)

8. kayak

kayak Active Member

He might be suggesting you pick a faster tempo? While we can dance WCS all the way down in the Rumba or even NC2 Step range, the body control to make it look good can be really hard. So while the music might technically fit WCS, he might be guiding you towards picking something around 110 bpm.

9. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Welcome Julien !

Are you from France? I hear WCS is getting very popular there.

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

lately am luvin' that timberlake/ciara song, love sex magic for WCS...

11. Julien

Julien New Member

Yes I am.

Yes you re right, WCS is quiet popular.

It's been now 5 or 6 years WCS is a famous dance in France.

But in my little town in the south of France it's been only 1 year.

I didn't start taking lessons of WCS yet. For now I'm just a salsa dancer but I'd like to dance WCS as well one day!! :)

I love musics, all kinds. That's the reason why I'd like to dance WCS.

12. kayak

kayak Active Member

Julian, Sounds like a perfect reason to learn WCS. Salsa is a lot of fun, but it is nice to have multiple dances.

13. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I had a lesson with Sarah Van Drake about a month ago. She said that WCS is really catching on in France and there are a lot of good dancers there. Good luck to you!

14. Julien

Julien New Member

Thanks for your enthusiasm! :D

But for now I've have to take of my knee. It's a real problem when you LOVE dancing.

Unfortunetly my knee is really damaged. I have to slow down a bit social dances just for months. After that I'll see if I can take lessons of WCS.

But you know there is not really good teachers of WCS in my town. I want to start learning with passionate instructor. I want to begin in the right way. ;)

15. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

Bienvenue, Julien! I'm awfully sorry to hear about your knee. :( Good luck! Bonne chance avec le genou. :)

16. Artemia

Artemia New Member

Found a great song that I decided to use for my routine (which is good because my coaching is on Friday!!!!) --

Shackles (Praise You) by Mary Mary

It's great because it's uptempo yet NOT... it's got a great back beat but it's still slow so I can groove rather than frantically hop around the floor. I have a feeling it's somewhere in the list (I can't be the first person to know about this song because I heard it at a WCS class, lol) but I wanted to point it out for future use!

17. Dancelf

Dancelf Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHywBuK49Mc

Heidi and Benji (at 17), used it to claim their first Open.

18. Artemia

Artemia New Member

What's amazing is that I had that performance of Benji and Heidi favorited on my youtube.... and was reviewing old favorites and discovered it AFTER I had found the song by other means, lol... Glad to see it's a song champions can agree upon!

19. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

She's Got The Rhythm (and I Got The Blues) - Alan Jackson

20. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

scream and shout britney and will.i.am

scream usher

i got burned the bamboos