Basic Wear to Practice

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Anonymous, Oct 30, 2002.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

thing is, practice wear is expensive, and I need clothing that has some give...but I am not about to pay those prices, only because I spend a fortune on lessons, gas, and hotel weekly, and that doesn't even count comps and gowns...so having the quality of what I wear on a lesson negatively impact my dancing is a chance I am willing to take :)...but every circumstance is different and I respect that
  2. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

I have been told that, although athletic wear (track pants and the like) are fine practice wear, when taking a private lesson from a coach, especially one to whom a considerable quantity of currency is being forked over, it makes a good impression to dress up a little (for guys, slacks or practice pants with a buttonup shirt and tie for smooth or standard, a plain fitted shirt for rhythm or latin; skirt of appropriate length for the style and a nice top for ladies). This, in theory, results in the coach taking you and your dancing more seriously, and if they judge you in competition, them remembering you and perhaps seeing you in a more favorable light. Bear in mind that this is from the perspective of an amateur who is clueless about pro-am, so YMMV.
    Mr 4 styles and Bailamosdance like this.
  3. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

I've typically followed this rule as well. Although I have to say that hasn't meant I've spent a lot on practice wear. I have a black pair of dress pants that has stretch to them, and a variety of black sweaters and other semi-nice shirts/blouses...typical stretch knits and mostly from TJMaxx, etc. :)
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

as to coaching....I do certainly take greater care when a coach is present
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

6. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

Other than when competing, I'm always in black chinos and a black t-shirt. That has become my uniform.
  7. tequila

tequila Member

Usually some black pants with some stretch (tend not to wear skirts at all); some kind of black top/shirt/... no colors for me.

I bought some "official" practice wear over the years but it seems as if I couldn't find dresses or tops that fit me which is frustrating.

Agree about taking greater care when in private lesson with coaches.
  8. Paul.Long

Paul.Long Member

My practice uniform depends on where I am. When with my partner and her coach or my coach for we live in different cities it's dance pants, a well fitted shirt and bright dress socks for I want him to notice my feet. Otherwise it's usually whatever I happen to have on. However, I've noticed that from starting this sport most of my ensembles would make great dance clothing. I shop for clothes with dancing in them in mind.
  9. montfordpetchy

montfordpetchy New Member

I like the most comfortable wear that's stretchable and sweat absorbent. :)
  10. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

I usually invest in a good practice skirt and that's it. I have bought practice tops, but I find I can get a better deal through Venus Swim Wear or AMI Clubwear. Its the same material most of the time and any where from 1/2 to 1/3 of the price of ballroom practice wear. Also DH Styles is a good source.
  11. sunnydays

sunnydays New Member

I'll wear tight pants to show off my lines and so that my coach can see my legs. I wear all black bottoms and tops every single time i practice. Occasionally if I'm feeling extra peppy that day I might throw on a skirt, but that rarely happens
  12. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to DF sunnydays!
  13. alexandrahweis

alexandrahweis Active Member

Where do you buy practice wear? (skirts, tops, ect)
    Also what're your favorite leotard brands?
  14. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

15. tancos

tancos Active Member

Black shirts don't show sweat!
  16. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Active Member

I buy practice skirts from danceshopper.com. They are a bit pricey, but I love the choice. For tops, I just wear a black stretchy top.
  17. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Also a fan of stretchy tops, sbrn. I have to watch the fabric though, since I sweat a lot.

Thanks for bumping this old thread up, whoever did. I'll have to go back and take a look at what I said, ten years ago. *grin*
  18. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Natalie, Mirella, sometimes Body Wrappers, Bloch or Gaynor Mindon have some nice styles.